Why do LEDs in a circuit need resistors in series?

In summary: This circuit uses a PWM signal to control the brightness of the LEDs. If you only have one resistor in series with the LEDs then the PWM signal will only control the brightness of the LED that is connected at the positive end of the resistor. If you add more resistors then the PWM signal will control the brightness of all the LEDs in series.
Borek
Mentor
I am playing with Arduino and LEDs at the moment. LED needs a resistor to limit current, that's clear. However, all examples I see use separate resistor for each diode. As far as I can tell electrically (in terms of limiting current) it shouldn't matter much whether we use single resistor for all LEDs, or separate resistor for each one (see the picture). I already tried to discuss it with a friend of mine, and he told me it is better to use separate resistors, but TBH his explanation (different diodes may have different forward voltages, if they are connected through a single resistor they can have different brightness) wasn't convincing.

So, is there a reason why we use multiple resistors?
diody_rezystory.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
You can model a diode as a voltage source (the forward voltage) and a very small resistance in series with the source.

You're friend is right. If you put all the diodes in parallel then they must have the same applied voltage. If the built-in voltages are slightly different among the diodes then the lower ones will have to draw more current across their internal resistance to account for the applied voltage.

You can even have a runaway current. The diode that draws the most current gets warmer which lowers its resistance. That makes it draw more current which makes it even warmer and so on.

Likes donpacino and berkeman
If the LEDs are very well matched, then you can use one resistor (or current driver circuit). But for general batches of jellybean LEDs you get from the local electronics supply, they are not well matched, so only 1 or 2 out of the several hooked in parallel to a single resistor will be full brightness. The others will be dimmer. So for jellybean LEDs, it's best to use separate resistors.

Better LEDs like the ones used in LED lightiing fixtures are well-matched so they can be connected in series or parallel and have the same brightness.

EDIT -- beaten out by Aaron! :smile:

Likes davenn and cnh1995
Because the voltage seen by the LEDs would vary depending on whether 1, 2, or 3 are lit. You want each LED to get all the voltage it needs no matter what the other LED are doing.

Aaron Crowl said:
You can even have a runaway current.
That's a good point. So it may only be practical to connect well-matched LEDs in series, not in parallel.

OK, you have convinced me :wink:

No, seriously, it is not that I didn't believe, it is that I want to understand why instead of just parroting the solution. And I think I get it now.

Yesterday I managed to measure the PWM from my model receiver, tonight I plan to do the same, just displaying the result using a shift register. Eventually I want to show the pulse width on a display (that I don't have yet) though.

Likes berkeman
anorlunda said:
Because the voltage seen by the LEDs would vary depending on whether 1, 2, or 3 are lit. You want each LED to get all the voltage it needs no matter what the other LED are doing.

Is this why it's necessary for LEDs in a circuit to have resistors in series? The answer to this probably depends upon the type of circuit. This is the circuit I'm referring to on a breadboard:

What is the purpose of resistors in series with LEDs?

The purpose of resistors in series with LEDs is to limit the amount of current flowing through the LED. This is necessary because LEDs have a low resistance and can easily burn out if too much current flows through them.

How do resistors affect the brightness of LEDs?

Resistors in series with LEDs can affect the brightness of the LED by limiting the amount of current flowing through it. A higher resistance will result in a lower current and therefore a dimmer LED, while a lower resistance will result in a higher current and a brighter LED.

What is the relationship between the value of the resistor and the voltage drop across the LED?

The voltage drop across the LED is directly related to the value of the resistor. The higher the resistance, the higher the voltage drop across the resistor, resulting in a lower voltage drop across the LED. Conversely, a lower resistance will result in a lower voltage drop across the resistor and a higher voltage drop across the LED.

Do the resistors in series with LEDs need to have a specific value?

The value of the resistor used in series with an LED depends on the voltage supply and the desired current for the LED. Using a higher resistance will result in a lower current, while a lower resistance will result in a higher current. It is important to choose a resistor with a value that falls within the range recommended by the LED manufacturer.

Can resistors in series with LEDs be replaced with other components?

Resistors in series with LEDs can be replaced with other components, such as constant current drivers, to regulate the current flowing through the LED. However, these components may be more expensive and more complex to use, so resistors are commonly used due to their simplicity and cost-effectiveness.