Can You Solve This Infinite Grid of Resistors Problem?

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics "puzzle" involving calculating the resistance between two metal rods stuck in the ground. The key insight is to calculate resistance along paths that are electrically parallel and have the same potential. The person cannot solve the puzzle but shares a helpful web page for further information.
excrucio
Could you solve this?
problem.JPG

Physics news on Phys.org
That's a famous physics "puzzle". Can you solve it?

I believe back in college I had to calculate the continuous case of this, e.g. you stick two metal rods into the ground a meter apart. What is the resistance between the rods given the resistivity of the ground.
(EDIT: Or maybe I just imagine having solved it. I definitely pondered it in the past)

The key insight in this problem is that you calculate the total resistance of it by calculating resistance along paths that are all electrically parallel with each other. More importantly, to be able to do so, you choose the paths so that there is no current flowing between those paths. That scenario happens when two neighboring paths have the same potential along their paths.

Sorry, that's all I recall :)

NO, I cannot solve it :(

Just FYI, there's a neat web page on the matter that calculates it.

Link?

What is the purpose of solving resistors problems?

The purpose of solving resistors problems is to determine the values of resistors in a circuit and how they affect the flow of electricity. This is important for understanding the overall performance of a circuit and making necessary adjustments.

What are the key components of a resistor problem?

The key components of a resistor problem include the given values of resistors, the circuit diagram, and the desired outcome or question to be answered. These components help to provide a clear understanding of the problem and guide the solving process.

What are the different methods for solving resistor problems?

There are several methods for solving resistor problems, including the use of Ohm's Law, Kirchhoff's Laws, and using series and parallel resistance equations. Each method has its own advantages and may be more suitable for different types of circuits.

What are the common mistakes made when solving resistor problems?

Some common mistakes made when solving resistor problems include forgetting to account for the units of measurement, using incorrect formulas or values, and not considering the direction of current flow. It is important to double check all calculations and consider all factors in a circuit.

How can I improve my skills in solving resistor problems?

To improve your skills in solving resistor problems, it is important to practice regularly and familiarize yourself with different types of circuits. You can also seek out additional resources and tutorials to learn new methods and techniques. It is also helpful to work with others and discuss different approaches to solving problems.