1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Resolution in degrees ?

1. Mar 18, 2013 #1

Femme_physics

Gold Member

Resolution in "degrees"?

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In the following scheme we see the channels spreadout of an absolute coder with 5 bits that works on a regular binary code. What's his resolution in degrees?

http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/475/01234v.jpg [Broken]

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't ever recall measuring resolution in degrees.

However, I see the solution in the solution manual is just this: 360/25 = 11.25 degrees / bit

My question is simple...where did he take the 25 from? I see the numbers range from 0 till 31... excuse the bad quality.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2013 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

4. Mar 18, 2013 #3

Femme_physics

Gold Member

Thanks, Jedi, I'll ask my teacher on class Friday (it's his solution manual)

5. Mar 18, 2013 #4

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

I saw an error like this in a popular math book the guy meant to say 2^5 but the copy-editor put in 25 and this may be the real source of the error you discovered.

6. Mar 18, 2013 #5

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you look at the picture, the values run from 0...31, which is 2^5

Astronomers deal with resolution not so much in degrees, but in seconds of arc.

3600 arc seconds = 1 degree.

For resolutions in degrees, this suggests regulation of something like a stepper motor, which turns a fixed portion of an arc every time it is actuated.

7. Mar 18, 2013 #6

Femme_physics

Gold Member

The question didn't specify such fancy data :) But thanks for the input.

It won't be the first time I approach teachers with errors, nor the first time I'll be submitting errors to solution manuals :-) Just ask username "I Like Serena", we used to do it a lot in mechanics! So, I trust the users of PF :)

8. Mar 18, 2013 #7

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Nice observation.
    Note that 360/25=14.4, while 360/2^5=11.25.

Oh, and happy birthday Fp!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted