Equilibrium of Forces: Finding Magnitude and Direction of Unknown Force P

In summary, the problem involves finding the magnitude and direction of a balancing force, given that a particle is in equilibrium with forces of 4N north, 8N west, and 5√2N south east. After adding the known vectors and finding the sum to be approximately 12N and 80° from north, the expert summarizer realizes that the sum should actually be negative, resulting in a magnitude of 10N and a direction of 71.56° from north. However, the direction is better described as 18.44° north of east.
FaraDazed

Homework Statement

A particle is in equilbrium with the forces of 4N north, 8N west, 5√2N south east and P.

Find the magnitude and the direction of P

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

A am a bit lost on this question, I can make an educated guess on the magnitude and direction having done what I have done so far...
[itex]
y=4-5\sqrt{2}cos45 \\
y=-1 \\
x=-8-5\sqrt{2}sin45 \\
x=-13
[/itex]
This would put the magnitude at near 12N and the direction at about 80° from north. However I am a bit lost on how to actually work it out (and even if what I have done so far is any good).

Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi FaraDazed! :smile:

Yes, that looks ok (except that you've got one of the "south-east" signs wrong) …

you're adding the three known vectors, and then your answer will be minus that.

tiny-tim said:

Yes, that looks ok (except that you've got one of the "south-east" signs wrong) …

you're adding the three known vectors, and then your answer will be minus that.

Hi, thanks for your reply :)

OK, should it be this?
[itex]
y=4-5\sqrt{2}cos45 \\
y=-1 \\
x=-8+5\sqrt{2}sin45 \\
x=-3.01
[/itex]

Or this?
[itex]
y=4+5\sqrt{2}cos45 \\
y=8.99 \\
x=-8-5\sqrt{2}sin45 \\
x=-13
[/itex]

yes! :smile:

(but where did the .01 come from?

did you use a calculator for that? :confused:)

tiny-tim said:
yes! :smile:

(but where did the .01 come from?

did you use a calculator for that? :confused:)

probably a rounding error, I did 5√2 = 7.07, then did 7.07sin45 = 4.99 (just realized this was wrong as rounding it makes it 5).

Thanks for point that out.

Not sure where to go from there though. Its doing my head in as we have a problem sheet to do and this is one of the easy ones, and I am ok with the harder ones about rough inclined planes with co-efficient of friction etc yet its the 'easy' ones that always get me!

OK well I think I got the magnitude to be 10N as 1^2+3^2=10 , and the direction involves 18.34° because arctan(1/3)=18.34, but not sure if is 90-18.34 = 71.66° from north?

FaraDazed said:
probably a rounding error, I did 5√2 = 7.07, then did 7.07sin45 = 4.99 (just realized this was wrong as rounding it makes it 5).

hmm … you do know that sin45° is exactly 1/√2, don't you? :redface:
Not sure where to go from there though

That gives you the sum of the given forces.

So the balancing force must be minus that sum. :wink:

tiny-tim said:

hmm … you do know that sin45° is exactly 1/√2, don't you? :redface:
No, I am not all that up on my surd notation just yet. I am getting better, slowly, though :smile:

tiny-tim said:
That gives you the sum of the given forces.

So the balancing force must be minus that sum. :wink:

OK cheers, could you check my edit to my last post please?

FaraDazed said:
… 5√2N south east …
FaraDazed said:
… could you check my edit to my last post please?

you mean, is it x = -8 - 5 or -8 + 5 ?

what do you think, and why? :smile:

tiny-tim said:
you mean, is it x = -8 - 5 or -8 + 5 ?

what do you think, and why? :smile:

Its -8+5 because its south east and east on an x-y plane is positive. When doing my original diagram I put the 5√2 as south-west :redface: .

I meant could you check the last bit of it actually, I've just c+p it below (and made changes after realsing it is SE not SW) anyway :)

OK well I think I got the magnitude to be 10N as 1^2+3^2=10 , and the direction involves 71.56° because arctan(3/1)=71.56, but as it would be in a south(ish)-west direction it would be 180+71.56=251.56° from north?

FaraDazed said:
OK well I think I got the magnitude to be 10N as 1^2+3^2=10

no, it's √10 ! :rolleyes:
, and the direction involves 71.56° because arctan(3/1)=71.56, but as it would be in a south(ish)-west direction it would be 180+71.56=251.56° from north?

let's see …

P = (3,1), so that's a bit north of east (P is the opposite of the sum of the other forces)

but yes the angle from north is arctan3 :smile:

tiny-tim said:
no, it's √10 ! :rolleyes:
Of course it is, :redface:.
tiny-tim said:
let's see …

P = (3,1), so that's a bit north of east (P is the opposite of the sum of the other forces)

but yes the angle from north is arctan3 :smile:

Right OK, of course as it needs to balance out, so it would simply be 71.56° from north?

FaraDazed said:
Right OK, of course as it needs to balance out, so it would simply be 71.56° from north?

yup! :smile:

(though i suspect from the "south-east" in the question that they want you to say "18.44° north of east" :wink:)

Thanks for your help :)

What is the concept of resolution of forces?

The concept of resolution of forces is a method used to break down a single force into its components in different directions. This is done in order to analyze the effects of the force in each direction separately.

What is the difference between horizontal and vertical resolution of forces?

Horizontal resolution of forces involves breaking down a force into its components in the horizontal direction, while vertical resolution of forces involves breaking down a force into its components in the vertical direction. This allows for a more in-depth analysis of the effects of the force in each direction.

How is resolution of forces used in real-world applications?

Resolution of forces is used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and mechanics. It is used to analyze the effects of forces on structures, machines, and other systems.

What are the steps involved in resolving forces?

The first step is to identify the given force and the directions in which it is acting. Then, using trigonometry, the force can be broken down into its horizontal and vertical components. Finally, the components can be analyzed separately to determine their individual effects.

What are some common misconceptions about resolution of forces?

One common misconception is that the resolution of forces changes the magnitude or direction of the original force. In reality, it only breaks down the force into its components without altering its original properties. Another misconception is that the components of a resolved force must add up to the original force, when in fact, they may not always add up exactly due to rounding errors.