1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Resolution of forces

1. Sep 13, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    why cant I resolve the forces in upward direction ? ( as in the sketched diagram)
    the book showed that the (y component ) forces are in downward direction ... why cant be in upward direction ?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2015 #2
    If you think a situation where the car is not moving. Then all the forces must sum up to zero. If you would take y component forces upward then you would have sum of forces that is not zero. There should be acceleration and after infinity of time cars speed would be infinity?
    Downward force should be same as upward force until the (600N) is bigger than friction.

4. Sep 13, 2015 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why do you want to do this? o_O

If you draw a free body diagram of the tow ropes, it should become fairly obvious that there are no forces in the upward (sic) direction.

After all, you can't push on a rope. :wink:

5. Sep 13, 2015 #4
    I drew a free body diagram( pencil -sketched ) , but i gt the forces are in upwards direction . Lol

6. Sep 13, 2015 #5

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The you drew the FBD wrong.

7. Sep 14, 2015 #6
    Which part is wrong?i couldn't figure it out

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted