How can a vector be resolved into components in various directions?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of resolving a vector into horizontal and vertical components and whether it can be further resolved into components in other directions. The use of sine and cosine functions in resolving vectors is mentioned, as well as the importance of choosing a useful axis set. The question of what to do in cases where the angle of inclination is given and a component parallel to the horizontal is needed is also raised.
sArGe99

Homework Statement

I just want to get my concepts right again. How many times can a vector be resolved into horizontal and vertical components? In the case of a mass placed on a wedge, the weight of the body can be resolved into mg sin (angle) and mg cos(angle). Can this mg sin(angle) be further resolved and resolved again... Surely it would have components in every direction, then?

Homework Equations

Resolution using sine and cosine functions

The Attempt at a Solution

Again, none of the books really helped me on this

Physics news on Phys.org
sArGe99 said:

Homework Statement

I just want to get my concepts right again. How many times can a vector be resolved into horizontal and vertical components? In the case of a mass placed on a wedge, the weight of the body can be resolved into mg sin (angle) and mg cos(angle). Can this mg sin(angle) be further resolved and resolved again... Surely it would have components in every direction, then?

Homework Equations

Resolution using sine and cosine functions

The Attempt at a Solution

Again, none of the books really helped me on this

Typically you want to choose a useful axis set. Gravity direction usually makes a fine choice and ⊥ planes make up useful 2nd and 3rd dimensions.

But generally you don't make a lot of different projections of things that are already projections since the original forces can be projected in whatever angles you need directly.

But in cases, like the one with an inclined plane the angle of inclination is given, it cannot be changed - say its theta. If we want the projection to be in other directions than what is given by sine and cosine components of theta, what do we do?
For example, mg sin theta acts parallel to the wedge surface and cosine component perpendicular. But what if we need a component parallel to the horizontal?

sArGe99 said:
But in cases, like the one with an inclined plane the angle of inclination is given, it cannot be changed - say its theta. If we want the projection to be in other directions than what is given by sine and cosine components of theta, what do we do?
For example, mg sin theta acts parallel to the wedge surface and cosine component perpendicular. But what if we need a component parallel to the horizontal?

I look to the original force wherever possible. Why take sines of cosines if you don't have to?

1. What is the definition of vector resolution?

Vector resolution is the process of breaking down a single vector into its horizontal and vertical components.

2. Why is vector resolution important in science?

Vector resolution is important in science because it allows for the analysis and understanding of complex vector quantities, such as force and velocity, in a simplified manner.

3. How is vector resolution performed?

Vector resolution is performed by using trigonometric functions, such as sine and cosine, to determine the horizontal and vertical components of a vector.

4. What is the purpose of finding the components of a vector?

The purpose of finding the components of a vector is to better understand the magnitude and direction of the vector, as well as to perform mathematical operations on the vector, such as addition and subtraction.

5. Can vector resolution be used for non-linear vectors?

Yes, vector resolution can be used for non-linear vectors. However, it may require more advanced mathematical techniques, such as calculus, to determine the components of the vector.