Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Resolution on my detectors

1. Jan 3, 2012 #1
    i am calibrating a detector set up using alpha particles to find resolution.
    i have 2 silicon detectors a thin and thick one where the alpha is expected to pass through and lose energy in the first and be stopped by the second.

My handbook says i can find the energy resolution in the second thicker detector by using the standard FWHM/centroid and times this by alpha particle energy 5157KeV to get KeV resolution. then i can just take measurements from the face (front or back) of the detector with best resolution.

This i understand. But, for the first detector it is saying to plot a difference in the energy between the front and back face measurement, of which the width of this peak is the resolution of the detector. this i dont get at we generally choose a face to measure from in the actual experiment.

why is there two different methods?
    is it because the particles pass through the first detector and because it has a thickness (in order to slow down the particle) there will be an energy difference between front and back?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted