1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Resolution power of telescope

1. Nov 15, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose that you wish to construct a telescope that can resolve features 7.0 km across on the Moon, 384,000 km away. You have a 2.2 m-focal-length objective lens whose diameter is 10.5 cm. What focal-length eyepiece is needed if your eye can resolve objects 0.10 mm apart at a distance of 25 cm? What is the resolution limit (radians) set by the size of the objective lens (that is, by diffraction)? Use λ=550 nm.

2. Relevant equations

Resolving power=RP=s=f*θ=(1.22*λ*f)/D where s=distance between two resolvable points, f=focal length of objective lens, D=diameter, and θ=angle between objects

3. The attempt at a solution

Using θ=(1.22*λ)/D, I got θ=6.39e-6 rad, which is correct for the second question. I don't really understand the relationship to the eyepiece in the first question though. θ=8e-3 rad for the first situation, but I'm not sure this is needed. I tried θ=s/f (even though this f refers to the objective lens) just to see what would happen and it gave f=0.125 m, which is incorrect. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2011 #2
    Still haven't figured this one out if anybody has any suggestions at all; it's due this weekend.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook