Solving Resolution Problem Homework Statement

• Thread starter Ownaginatious
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resolution
In summary, the conversation is about calculating the minimum viewing distance for an American standard television picture using the Rayleigh criterion and given values for the diameter of pupils and the average wavelength of light. The formula used is theta = 1.22 * (wavelength/diameter) and the answer is in the form of d/D, with D representing the vertical dimension of the picture tube. The conversation also includes some confusion about the role of the number of horizontal lines in the calculation.
Ownaginatious

Homework Statement

I'm not sure what I'm messing up here:

"An American standard television picture is composed of about 485 horizontal lines of varying light intensity. Assume that your ability to resolve the lines is limited only by the Rayleigh criterion and that the pupils of your eyes are 5.13 mm in diameter. Calculate the ratio of minimum viewing distance to the vertical dimension of the picture such that you will not be able to resolve the lines. Assume that the average wavelength of the light coming from the screen is 570 nm."

Homework Equations

diameter of pupils = d = 5.13*10^-3 m
wavelength = r = 570 * 10^-9 m

Now I think I'm supposed to use this equation:

(theta) = 1.22 * (wavelength)/(Diameter)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not really sure where to go from here, and can't figure out how the 485 horizontal lines plays into this. Can someone guide me through this one? I've never had a problem in my homework like this before.

Thanks!

- Dillon

Physics news on Phys.org
Vertical dimension of the picture tube / numbers of lines = the distance between two lines which is to be resolved.

rl.bhat said:
Vertical dimension of the picture tube / numbers of lines = the distance between two lines which is to be resolved.

But there is no vertical dimension of the screen :s

The answer may be in the form of d/D

rl.bhat said:
The answer may be in the form of d/D

But what would the upper-case D represent?

Vertical dimension of the picture tube.

I'm still unsure of how to solve the problem...

In this problem theta = (D/485)/d = 1.22(wavelength/diameter)

Okay, great, that yields a correct answer :)

If you don't mind rl.bhat, could you show me how you derived that (D/485)/d?

EDIT:

Oh wait, never mind, I just realized that you just used s = (radius)*(theta). Thanks again!

1. How do I approach solving a resolution problem in my homework?

First, carefully read and understand the problem statement. Then, identify the key variables and equations involved. Next, use logical reasoning and mathematical manipulation to find a solution. Finally, check your work for accuracy and clarity.

2. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving resolution problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid include using incorrect equations, not properly simplifying equations, and not checking the units of your final answer. It is also important to double check your work and make sure all steps are clearly shown.

3. How do I know if I have found the correct solution to a resolution problem?

To ensure that you have found the correct solution, you can check your answer using the given information in the problem statement. You can also plug your solution back into the original equations to see if it satisfies all the given conditions.

4. What should I do if I am stuck on a particular step while solving a resolution problem?

If you are stuck on a particular step, you can try approaching the problem from a different angle or breaking it down into smaller parts. You can also consult with your peers or instructor for assistance, or seek out additional resources such as textbooks or online tutorials.

5. How can I improve my problem-solving skills for resolution problems?

To improve your problem-solving skills, practice is key. The more you work on solving different types of resolution problems, the more you will develop your critical thinking and analytical skills. Additionally, make sure to review and understand the concepts and equations related to resolution problems, as this will make them easier to solve in the future.