1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Resolve vector component

1. Aug 23, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Resolve the vector 6i+2j-2k into two vectors, one parallel and another perpendicular to i+j+k

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]a\cdot b = 0 \; \text{for two perpendicular vectors}[/tex]

[tex]a=\lambda \;b\;\text{for parallel vectors}[/tex] , [tex]\lambda = \text{parameter}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have no idea to start. How to resolve one component of vector into two components ?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2009 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Have you learned about the geometrical meaning of dot product?
    I.e. if I drew v = 6i+2j-2k and w = i+j+k for you, could you explain to me how v · w appears in the picture?

4. Aug 23, 2009 #3
    I don't think that he can give you geometrical interpretation because dot product is just a scalar and not vector.
    Although, he can give you the scalar projection of v onto w.

And do you mean to resolve 6i+2j-2k = c + d ?

If so, let c be the vector parallel to and d perpendicular to the vector (1,1,1) i.e i+j+k

(cx,cy,cz)=[itex]\lambda[/itex](1,1,1)

and do you know what d will equal to? What are the conditions of the task?

Regards.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2009
  5. Aug 23, 2009 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Okay, so a vector parallel to i+ j+ k must be [itex]\lambda i+ \lambda j+ \lambda k[/itex]. Suppose ai+ bj+ ck is the vector perpendicular to that. Then you have [itex](ai+ bj+ ck)\cdot(\lamba i+ \lambda j+ \lambda k)= a\lambda+ b\lambda+ c\lambda[/itex][itex]= \lambda(a+ b+ c)= 0[/itex] and [itex](ai+ bj+ ck)+ (\lambda i+ \lambda j+ \lambda k)[/itex][itex]= (a+\lambda)i+ (b+\lambda)j+ (c+ \lambda)k[/itex][itex]= 6i+ 2j- 2k[/itex]. That gives you four equations to solve for a, b, c, and [itex]\lambda[/itex].

6. Aug 23, 2009 #5
    Hi CompuChip, Дьявол, and Mr. HallsofIvy

I get it now. Sorry, but I have another simple question. What is the meaning of dot product ?

It's easier for me to imagine cross product. If we cross two vectors, we will get third vector that is perpendicular to the previous two vectors.

But, what about dot product ? If we dot 2 vectors, we get a numerical value, What does the numerical value represent?

Thanks

7. Aug 23, 2009 #6
    As I was taught, the dot product is where you only consider the part of the second vector being multiplied that is parallel to the first vector.

8. Aug 24, 2009 #7
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/3e/Dot_Product.svg/300px-Dot_Product.png [Broken]

And the dot product is A • B = |A| cos(θ) |B|

|A| cos(θ) is the scalar projection of A onto B.

So you got the part down there, just you multiply it with the magnitude of B.

Regards.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  9. Aug 24, 2009 #8
    Hi Дьявол and mg0stisha

Wow, now I get the meaning of dot product. Thanks a lot to all of you !! (CompuChip, Дьявол, MR. HallsofIvy, mg0stisha) ^^

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook