1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Resolved part of vector r

1. Jun 16, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Write down the resolved part of vector r in the direction of a, where [itex]a=\left(
    \begin{array}{c}
    0 \\
    0 \\
    \end{array}
    \right)[/itex]

EDIT:
    [itex]
    r=\left(
    \begin{array}{c}
    3 \\
    4 \\
    \end{array}
    \right)[/itex]
    3. The attempt at a solution

I don't know what this means, the resolved part of vector r.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I don't either, but I suspect it has something to do with the component of r in the direction of a. See if your textbook defines the term "resolved part of a vector" somewhere.

Mathematics relies heavily on definitions. Whenever you have a problem that says "find the XYZ" and you don't know what XYZ is, look for its definition and go from there.

4. Jun 16, 2009 #3
    The answer is just '-5'. The text doesn't define it anywhere its a really crap text. The questions are from past papers from different exam boards.

5. Jun 16, 2009 #4

Cyosis

Homework Helper

To add to what Mark said. If I don't know a definition and I am behind my pc, I use google. More often than not I will know the meaning of the definition in mere seconds.

I tried it for this problem as well and the first hit was:

http://thesaurus.maths.org/mmkb/entry.html?action=entryById&id=3779 [Broken]

Five seconds at most!

And yes the answer is -5.

I don't want to discourage you from asking questions of course, but being somewhat independent will save you a lot of time which you can spend on more important things!

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  6. Jun 16, 2009 #5

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, it's a bit old-fashioned now, but some people say "resolve all the forces in the x-direction" when they mean "find the components of all the forces in the x-direction" …

it's using one word instead of two or three. :wink:

7. Jun 16, 2009 #6
    This in the formula book :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook