1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Resolving a vector

1. Apr 27, 2010 #1
    1. A particle is performing uniform circular motion
    ucm1.jpg

the necessary centripetal force is provided by T2 -mgcos(theta) ****** no problem :)

2 Now the problem
    ucm2.jpg

how to resolve vector W in this case.

i'm confused :( how to resolve the vector. (confused in picking the anlge between the vector and the component)

pls help me by providing some hints pls..

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2010 #2

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Extend the line along W until it intersects the horizontal axis. You have just created a right triangle. One right side is W, one right side is the segment of the horizontal axis and the hypotenuse is T1. Can you find the component of W along T1?

4. Apr 27, 2010 #3
    my aim is to find a component of W which balances tension (T1) of the string and another component which tries to decrease the velocity of the object in circular motion in first quadrant.

5. Apr 27, 2010 #4

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I understand your aim. As you know, to describe the components of a vector, you need two perpendicular axes. What do you think these axes should be in this case?

6. Apr 27, 2010 #5
    ucmpro.jpg

or

ucmpro1.jpg

but in both cases the angle between the vector w and its x componet is not congurent to (theta) {i think so}

7. Apr 27, 2010 #6

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your diagrams are fine, but you did not tell which way your axes point. In what direction is x?

8. Apr 27, 2010 #7
  9. Apr 27, 2010 #8

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In that case, the weight has zero x-component and -mg for the y-component. What would happen if you chose the x-axis along T1 and the y axis perpendicular to it, up and to the left? Note that this is a very convenient coordinate system because the centripetal acceleration and tension are along x. Of course you will have to find the x and y components for the weight in the system of axes.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook