1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Resolving and reducing forces.

1. Apr 18, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am trying to find the resultant forces in the attached picture.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

The resultant of a couple of forces = 0
    F in x direction = 5cos(45)
    F in y direction = -5sin(45) - 2

Therefore:
    R = ((5√2)/2)i + ((-(5√2)/2)-2)j
    R = √(3.53^2+(-5.53)^2) = 6.56kN

is this correct does the distance of the 2kN force come in to play somewhere. If so where?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi mm391! :smile:

looks ok so far …

now you need to find the line along which it acts (of all the possible parallel lines) :wink:

4. Apr 20, 2012 #3
    Thanks Tiny Tim but I am still al ittle confused.

What do you mean "find the line along which it acts" ? What line. All I can see it that the 2kN force acts 6 meters from point P but I am not sure how to incorporate that into the question.

Thanks

5. Apr 20, 2012 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

a force that is (say) 10 N north-east can be applied anywhere along a rigid body

if applied on the left side, it will turn it clockwise, if applied on the right side, it will turn it anti-clockwise

the point of application (or the line of application, through that point) matters, and when specifying the resultant of forces, you must also specify the line of application :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook