How Do You Calculate the Correct Components of a Force Along Tether Lines?

In summary, the homework question asks to resolve a given vertical force of 1750 N into components along two tether lines. The angles between the vertical force and the tether lines are given as 40 deg and 30 deg. After applying the parallelogram law and using the sine law, the computed answers are significantly different from the answers given in the book. The suggested solution is to draw a scale diagram and develop equations for vertical and horizontal components to check the answer. However, even after doing so, the answers do not match the ones in the book.
quantum_enhan
fag.png

Homework Statement

A resultant vertical force of 1750 N is necessary to held the balloon in place. Resolve this force into components along the tether lines AB and AC, and compute the magnitde of each force.

The angle between AB and the vertical force is 40 deg, and the angle between AC and the vertical force is 30.

The Attempt at a Solution

After applying parallelogram law, I was able to produce a triangle with the angles 110, 40, and 30. I applied sine law as follow:

Fab / sin30 = 1750 / sin 110 = Fac / sin40

However, after computing, the answers are WAY off. I'm talking ~800-900 Newtons.

The answers in the back of the book are Fab = 186N and Fac = 239 N.

I just don't see how those components and angles given in the question can remotely come near the 1750 N force.. Help?>

Physics news on Phys.org
I suggest you draw the parallellogram to scale, and develop two equations representing vertical components and horizontal components. Check your answer by measurement of the scale drawing.

I have done so, but again I am getting entirely different answers. Perhaps someone can point me in the right director for vector allignment? I am assuming that its my arrangment of vectors that is corrupting my answer.
fag-1.png

"The answers in the back of the book are Fab = 186N and Fac = 239 N. "

Diagram looks ok. Book answers don't.

As a scientist, it is important to check our calculations and make sure we are using the correct equations and values. In this case, it seems that the angles given in the question may not be correct or may have been misinterpreted. It is also possible that there are other forces acting on the balloon that are not mentioned in the question.

To resolve the force vector accurately, we need to have a clear understanding of the angles and directions involved. I would recommend double-checking the given angles and using a vector diagram to accurately determine the components along the tether lines. Additionally, it may be helpful to consider any other forces acting on the balloon, such as wind or air resistance, to get a more accurate result.

In science, it is important to always question and verify our results to ensure accuracy. I would suggest reviewing the problem and seeking clarification if needed to arrive at the correct solution.

1. What is a resolving force vector?

A resolving force vector is a mathematical technique used to break down or decompose a single force into its horizontal and vertical components. This allows for a more accurate analysis of the force's effects on an object or system.

2. How is a resolving force vector calculated?

To calculate a resolving force vector, we use trigonometric ratios such as sine, cosine, and tangent. The magnitude of the force is multiplied by the cosine of the angle to find the horizontal component and multiplied by the sine of the angle to find the vertical component.

3. What is the purpose of resolving force vectors?

The purpose of resolving force vectors is to simplify the analysis of forces acting on an object or system. By breaking down a single force into its components, we can better understand the effects of the force and make more accurate predictions.

4. Can resolving force vectors be used for non-linear systems?

Yes, resolving force vectors can be used for both linear and non-linear systems. However, for non-linear systems, the forces may change direction and magnitude, making it more complex to analyze.

5. What are some real-life applications of resolving force vectors?

Resolving force vectors are commonly used in engineering and physics to analyze and design structures such as bridges and buildings. They are also used in sports such as sailing and rock climbing to determine the forces acting on equipment and athletes.