1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Resolving Forces

1. Jan 17, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi there I have attached a copy of the question to this post. I have never come accross this, and don't really know where to start.

Any pointers much appriciated. Thanks in advance,

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2010 #2
    Well. . . Remember that it's in equilibrium, so the object isn't accelerating in any direction. And then you just have to resolve. . .So for part (a), resolve T into vertical and horizontal component (create an appropriate coordinate axis).
    And since you know the object is not accelerating, you know that the horizontal component needs to balance out the 18kN. . . And also, since it's not accelerating you know that Ty + W = 40 + R. . . .and so on. . .
    (Remember that W=mg)

Just keep in mind that it's in equilibrium, and I think you should be fine. . .
  4. Jan 18, 2010 #3
    Hi there,

Thanks very much for your useful post.

I think I've got it, but not too sure about the last question. I said that the clockwise moments = [40000 x (a+c+d)] + [27050 x d] + [18000 x h]

Is that ok? Oh and for the other questions, should the answers be

a) 18000=Tcos45

b) Tcos45 + W=40000 + R

Thaanks agin for the help, much appriciated.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook