Resolve Forces Homework: Magnitude & Direction

In summary, "resolve forces" refers to breaking down a force into its components, typically along the x and y axes, in order to determine the magnitude and direction of each component. The magnitude of a force can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, while the direction can be determined using trigonometric functions. An example of resolving forces would be breaking down a 10 N force at a 30 degree angle into its x and y components and using the Pythagorean theorem and inverse tangent function to find the magnitude and direction. Resolving forces is important in physics as it allows for a more precise understanding of the relationship between forces and motion.
Robb

Homework Statement

Determine the magnitude of the resultant forces and direction of the resultant as measured clockwise from the positive x axis.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Please help. I have entered my answers into masteringengineering.com and it keeps telling me my answers are wrong. Not sure why?

[/B]
upload_2016-9-17_12-30-59.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-9-17_12-26-23.png
    upload_2016-9-17_12-26-23.png
    42.1 KB · Views: 393
  • upload_2016-9-17_12-27-50.png
    upload_2016-9-17_12-27-50.png
    71.9 KB · Views: 380
Physics news on Phys.org
Your setup for Fnet, x looks right, but I get a different numerical result for Fnet, x.

For F3y you have -33 sin (330). Should you include the negative sign in front of 33?

Good point with the negative sign! I got the answer now. Muchas gracias muchachos!

1. What is meant by "resolve forces" in this homework?

"Resolve forces" refers to breaking down a force into its components, typically along the x and y axes, in order to determine the magnitude and direction of each component.

2. How do I calculate the magnitude of a force?

The magnitude of a force can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the magnitude (represented by the letter "F") is equal to the square root of the sum of the squared components (represented by the letters "Fx" and "Fy"). In equation form, this is written as F = √(Fx² + Fy²).

3. How do I determine the direction of a force?

The direction of a force can be determined by using trigonometric functions. The angle of the force can be found using the inverse tangent function, which is written as θ = tan⁻¹(Fy/Fx). This will give you the direction of the force in degrees or radians.

4. Can you give an example of resolving forces?

Sure! Let's say you have a force of 10 N acting at an angle of 30 degrees above the horizontal. To resolve this force, you would first determine the x and y components using trigonometry. The x component would be 10 N * cos(30) = 8.66 N, and the y component would be 10 N * sin(30) = 5 N. You can then use the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude, which is approximately 9.43 N, and the inverse tangent function to find the direction, which is 30 degrees above the horizontal.

5. Why is it important to resolve forces in physics?

Resolving forces is important in physics because it allows us to analyze the effects of individual components of a force, rather than just the overall force itself. This can be especially useful in situations where forces are acting in different directions, as it allows us to determine the net force and resulting motion of an object. It also helps us understand the relationship between forces and motion in a more precise and accurate manner.