Calculating Direct and Shear Stresses for Robotic Arm in Manufacturing Process

In summary, the student is trying to solve a problem that he is not sure how to do. He has looked at something from a previous course and thinks that he might be able to find the answers.
Seven7

Homework Statement

At a particular stage of the manufacturing process, a robotic arm has the position and loading shown in the figure;

http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/5498/25481552jo0.th.png

Calculate the direct stresses due to bending and the shear stresses due to torsion.

Homework Equations

M = r x F

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I took the applied force and resolved the moments about point A as follows (assuming the applied force is traveling parallel to the z-axis);

M = r x F = i(1-0) -j(2-0) = i - 2j

I am fairly sure that the next step in the problem is resolving these moments about the x and y axes into a moment along the figure (a torsional moment) and a moment parallel to the BC section; please refer to the following diagram;

http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/6007/72031118aw9.th.png

However I'm not exactly sure how to do this. A tutor told me it's ok to treat the moments as if they were forces but i can't get my head around the idea.

Any advice or help would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't had a great deal to do with moment vectors to this extent, but if your tutor has told you to treat the moments like forces maybe he is implying that to find the moment about the axis parallel to AB (I the moment producing the torsion in that member), then my guess would be to find the dot product of the moment you have found with the unit vector or dirrectional vector (what ever you like to call it of AB)

That is,
Mab=(i-2j) dot (0.6i+0.8j)=(0.6+1.6)=2.2
Mbc could be found in the same way?

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, might be something for you to have a look at anyway.

Elbarto

i've had a look at something from one of last year's courses and i think you're right... cheers elbarto... very helpful

1. What is the definition of a moment in 3D?

A moment in 3D refers to the rotational force around a point or axis, caused by an external force acting on an object.

2. How is the magnitude of a moment calculated?

The magnitude of a moment can be calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the perpendicular distance between the force and the point or axis of rotation.

3. What is the difference between a positive and negative moment?

A positive moment creates rotation in a counterclockwise direction, while a negative moment creates rotation in a clockwise direction.

4. How are moments resolved in 3D?

Moments can be resolved in 3D by breaking them down into their components along the three axes of rotation (x, y, and z) and then using vector addition to find the total moment.

5. What are some real-world applications of resolving moments in 3D?

Resolving moments in 3D is essential in engineering and physics, as it helps determine the stability and structural integrity of objects under different forces and loads. It is also used in robotics, biomechanics, and aerospace engineering.