1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Resolving Power of a collimated Littrow diffracting telescope

1. Mar 12, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose a simplified telescope and grating spectrometer system:

diffractiontelescope.jpg

D is the telescope's primary diameter, W is the width of the collimated beam, β is the grating angle in a Littrow configuration, and [itex]\alpha[/itex] is the aperture diameter in angular units on the sky.

The goal is to find an expression of the resolving power R that depends only on those 4 quantities. We can assume that the detector size in the exit focal plane is small compared to the projected aperture size.

2. Relevant equations

R=[itex]\frac{\lambda}{\Delta\lambda}[/itex]
    R=mN where N is the number of grating slits or ridges and m is the diffraction order.

Since the grating is in Littrow configuration, we know that 2dsinβ=mλ, so λ=[itex]\frac{2d\sin{\beta}}{m}[/itex] where d is the distance between ridges/slits.

D and W are related to [itex]\alpha[/itex] by D=[itex]2f_1\sin{\alpha}[/itex] and W=[itex]2f_2\sin{\alpha}[/itex], where [itex]f_1[/itex] and [itex]f_2[/itex] are the focal lengths from the primary lens to the aperture and from the collimating lens to the aperture, respectively.

We know the number of slits/ridges illuminated is given by N=[itex]\frac{W}{d\cos{\beta}}[/itex]

If I'm not mistaken, the reflected light is normal to the grating.

3. The attempt at a solution

[itex]\frac{\delta\lambda}{\delta\beta}=\frac{2d\cos{β}}{m}[/itex]

Therefore, approximating [itex]\delta\lambda[/itex] to Δλ, R=[itex]\frac{\tan{\beta}}{\delta\beta}[/itex]

So from this point, we need [itex]\delta\beta[/itex] in terms of [itex]\alpha[/itex], D, and W. But here is where I'm stuck. I can't for the life of me figure out what to do next.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?