Find Telescope Diameter to Resolve Two Stars

• Thread starter dimensionless
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Images
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the diameter of the smallest telescope that can resolve two stars emitting monochromatic light on 600nm, with an angle of separation of 3x10^5 radians. The angular limit of resolution formula is used to calculate the diameter, with a value of 1.22 being derived from Rayleigh's criteria. The final result is 2.44 cm, and the questioner wonders why the number 1.22 is used in the formula. The answerer explains that it is based on the first dark ring of the Fraunhofer diffraction pattern.
dimensionless
I have two stars that are separated by an angle of 3x10^5 radians. They are both emitting monochromatic light on 600nm. I would like to find the diameter of the smallest telescope that can resolve the two stars.

For the angular limit of resolution I have
[tex]
\Delta \theta = \frac{1.22 \lambda}{D}
[/tex]

Where D is the diameter of the lens.

Rearranging I get
[tex]
D = \frac{1.22 \lambda}{\Delta\theta}=\frac{1.22*600*10^{-9}}{3*10^{-5}} = 2.44 cm
[/tex]

I'm quite sure that the answer is 2.5 cm. Where am I going wrong? Where does the 1.22 come from?

Physics news on Phys.org
dimensionless said:
I'm quite sure that the answer is 2.5 cm. Where am I going wrong?
I don't think you're going wrong at all.
Where does the 1.22 come from?
The resolution limit you are using is called Rayleigh's criteria. The 1.22 comes from calculating the diameter of the first dark ring of the Fraunhofer diffraction pattern due to a circular aperature (which involves finding the zeros of a Bessel function--look it up if you want more).

1. What is the formula for finding the telescope diameter to resolve two stars?

The formula for finding the telescope diameter to resolve two stars is D = 2.5 * λ / θ, where D is the telescope diameter in meters, λ is the wavelength of light in meters, and θ is the angular separation of the two stars in radians.

2. How do I determine the angular separation of two stars?

To determine the angular separation of two stars, you can use a star chart or an online astronomy program to find the coordinates of each star. Then, use the formula θ = d / D, where d is the distance between the two stars and D is the distance from Earth to the stars.

3. What is the relationship between telescope diameter and resolving power?

The resolving power of a telescope is directly proportional to its diameter. This means that as the telescope diameter increases, the resolving power also increases. This is because a larger diameter allows more light to enter the telescope, resulting in a clearer and more detailed image.

4. Can I use any telescope to resolve two stars?

No, not all telescopes are capable of resolving two stars. The telescope must have a large enough diameter to gather enough light and a high enough resolving power to distinguish the two stars. A telescope with a diameter of at least 0.2 meters is typically needed to resolve two stars.

5. How do different wavelengths of light affect the telescope diameter needed to resolve two stars?

Different wavelengths of light can affect the telescope diameter needed to resolve two stars. Generally, shorter wavelengths require a larger telescope diameter to resolve stars due to their high frequency and shorter wavelength. Longer wavelengths, such as infrared, require a smaller telescope diameter to resolve two stars. This is because longer wavelengths have a lower frequency and longer wavelength, making them easier to detect and resolve with a smaller telescope.