Resonance and Damping

Homework Statement

I was doing a question about resonance of sound box connecting to a tuning fork. It asks why the sound lasts for a shorter time with sound box than if the tuning fork is struck identically without the sound box.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Is it because the sound box dampens the vibration of tuning fork, or because due to larger contact area of box with air the box transfers vibrational energy at higher rate to air, or these two reasons are actually the same thing? So does it mean that resonator will always dampen the driving oscillator? I'm quite confused between the idea of energy transfer in resonance and damping. Thanks in advance:)

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award

Homework Statement

I was doing a question about resonance of sound box connecting to a tuning fork. It asks why the sound lasts for a shorter time with sound box than if the tuning fork is struck identically without the sound box.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Is it because the sound box dampens the vibration of tuning fork, or because due to larger contact area of box with air the box transfers vibrational energy at higher rate to air, or these two reasons are actually the same thing? So does it mean that resonator will always dampen the driving oscillator? I'm quite confused between the idea of energy transfer in resonance and damping. Thanks in advance:)
You are right that, to the energy source, there is no distinction between resonance and damping. Either way, it is a transfer of energy from the energy source to whatever is in contact with it. The difference arises after that, being a matter of whether the energy is merely dissipated within the contacting matter (damping) or transferred on.

Likes mystreet123
You are right that, to the energy source, there is no distinction between resonance and damping. Either way, it is a transfer of energy from the energy source to whatever is in contact with it. The difference arises after that, being a matter of whether the energy is merely dissipated within the contacting matter (damping) or transferred on.
Thanks for replying!
So the reason for shorter sound note is due to resonance? as the energy is transferred on from sound box to air as sound energy more quickly than the tuning fork alone?

haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award
Thanks for replying!
So the reason for shorter sound note is due to resonance? as the energy is transferred on from sound box to air as sound energy more quickly than the tuning fork alone?
Yes.