Resonance ans normal modes in an open pipe

In summary, when the speaker frequency is not a normal mode frequency, standing waves still exist in the open pipe, but they have a lower amplitude and the nodes and antinodes are not as pronounced.
pioupioup
Hello,

I have a question about standing sound waves in an open pipe caused by a speaker, I know that normal mode frequencies are given by

[tex]f_n = n\frac{v}{4L}, \quad n=1,2,3,...[/tex]

if we put a microphone into the pipe, and if the frequency of the speaker is a normal mode frequency, we see nodes and antinodes.

but I don't understand what happen when the speaker frequency isn't a normal mode frequency.. I think that we see always nodes and antinodes but they have lower amplitude, I'm not sure at all.

If someone can help me, it would be nice.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for your question. When the speaker frequency is not a normal mode frequency, the standing waves in the open pipe will still exist, but they will not be as pronounced as when the frequency is a normal mode frequency. This is because the standing waves are created when the sound waves from the speaker reflect off the open end of the pipe and interfere with each other. When the frequency is a normal mode frequency, the reflected waves will reinforce each other at certain points, creating nodes and antinodes. However, when the frequency is not a normal mode frequency, the reflected waves will not perfectly reinforce each other and the nodes and antinodes will not be as distinct. This results in a lower amplitude for the standing waves.

I hope this helps to clarify your understanding. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Hello,

Great question! In an open pipe, resonance and normal modes occur when the length of the pipe is equal to half or a multiple of half wavelengths of the sound wave. In this case, the sound wave reflects back on itself and creates a standing wave pattern with nodes and antinodes.

When the speaker frequency is not a normal mode frequency, the standing wave pattern is not as strong because the sound wave does not perfectly reflect back on itself. However, nodes and antinodes can still be observed, but with lower amplitude. This is because the sound wave is still reflecting and interfering with itself, but not at the optimal conditions for resonance.

I hope this helps clarify things for you. Let me know if you have any other questions. Happy learning!

1. What is resonance in an open pipe?

Resonance in an open pipe refers to the phenomenon of a standing wave being created within the pipe when the frequency of the sound waves produced by a source, such as a musical instrument, matches the natural frequency of the pipe. This results in a loud and clear sound being produced.

2. How does resonance occur in an open pipe?

Resonance occurs in an open pipe when the length of the pipe is equal to a certain multiple of the wavelength of the sound waves. This creates a standing wave pattern, with nodes and antinodes, resulting in a amplification of the sound produced.

3. What are normal modes in an open pipe?

Normal modes in an open pipe refer to the different patterns of standing waves that can be produced within the pipe. These modes are determined by the length of the pipe and the wavelength of the sound waves, and each mode has a different frequency and amplitude.

4. How does the length of an open pipe affect resonance?

The length of an open pipe is a crucial factor in determining whether resonance will occur. The length of the pipe must be equal to a certain multiple of the wavelength of the sound waves for resonance to occur. Changing the length of the pipe will change the natural frequency of the pipe and therefore affect resonance.

5. What are some practical applications of resonance in open pipes?

Resonance in open pipes has many practical applications, such as in musical instruments such as flutes and organ pipes. It is also used in engineering and architecture, where the design of open pipes can be used to amplify and control sound waves in buildings and concert halls.