Can Humming in a Bathroom Stall Cause Resonance?

• Thread starter sammyb787
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resonance
In summary, the other day, Jim was in a bathroom stall doing his business, and he randomly started humming some song (can't remember exactly what it was). Well it just so happened that he hit the resonant frequency of that stall. Talk about a surprise! I could make a very quite sound with my mouth closed, and if I hit just the right frequency the stall practically started throbbing. Just the very quite vibration of my throat would make the stall utter a loud hum. Jim was just wondering if anyone else has ever noticed this. I have plans for future tests. I'm going to build some kind of audio generator that I can adjust the frequency of until I hit resonance, and see if
sammyb787
The other day, I was in a bathroom stall doing my business, and I randomly started humming some song (can't remember exactly what it was). Well it just so happened that I hit the resonant frequency of that stall. Talk about a surprise! I could make a very quite sound with my mouth closed, and if I hit just the right frequency the stall practically started throbbing. Just the very quite vibration of my throat would make the stall utter a loud hum. I was just wondering if anyone else has ever noticed this. I have plans for future tests. I'm going to build some kind of audio generator that I can adjust the frequency of until I hit resonance, and see if I can knock the stall down. :smile: Anyway the next time you get a chance try this. I'm sure you and the person in the next stall will get a kick out of it.

Physics news on Phys.org
these are called room modes and they are most prevalent in rectangular shaped rooms with smooth and hard surfaces. you can predict what frequencies are the room modes. when i get back to this, i'll post the equations or point to a website with it. try Googling "room mode" or "room modes".

sammyb787 said:
Anyway the next time you get a chance try this. I'm sure you and the person in the next stall will get a kick out of it.
Just don't make any hand signals under the divider or tap him on the foot. :rofl:

Tesla claimed to have created an earthquake machine that vibrated at a rooms resonant frequency. He claimed to have destroyed his lab and caused results from the fire department.

Incidentally, all of his neighbors believed it was an earthquake.

Please tell me how ur attempt at knocking down the stall goes :rofl:.

Last edited:
I once noticed the same thing about a hallway in the huose ni which I grew up. If I clapped my hands, it sent back several diffeernt pitches. If I listened carefully to those pitches, selected one, and hummed it, the hallway would hum back with just that one pitch. At other notes, the place sounded completely dead.

Bedframes are good for this, also.

turbo-1 said:
Just don't make any hand signals under the divider or tap him on the foot. :rofl:
The distinguished Gentleman has just entered the chamber.

A while back when I used to inspect large 20,000L stainless steel chemical storage/hauling containers. I would go in and do an internal inpection and while I was at it, if I hit just the right hum in my throat it would be deafening with very little use of my vocal cords at all.

Jim

1. What causes resonance in a bathroom stall?

Resonance in a bathroom stall is caused by sound waves bouncing off the hard surfaces of the stall, creating an echo effect. This is similar to how sound waves bounce off walls in an empty room.

2. Why is resonance more noticeable in a bathroom stall?

Bathroom stalls are typically small and enclosed spaces with hard, reflective surfaces, which allows for sound waves to bounce around and amplify. This amplification makes resonance more noticeable in a bathroom stall compared to a larger, more open space.

3. Can resonance in a bathroom stall be harmful?

No, resonance in a bathroom stall is not harmful. It is simply a natural phenomenon caused by sound waves bouncing off surfaces. However, loud and prolonged exposure to loud noises can potentially damage hearing.

4. How can resonance in a bathroom stall be reduced?

To reduce resonance in a bathroom stall, sound-absorbing materials can be added to the walls and surfaces. This will help to absorb the sound waves, reducing the echo effect and making the stall less resonant.

5. Is resonance in a bathroom stall the same as reverberation?

No, resonance and reverberation are two different acoustic phenomena. Resonance is caused by sound waves bouncing off surfaces, while reverberation is the persistence of sound in a space after the original sound has stopped. Though they are different, both can contribute to an echo effect in a bathroom stall.