Resonance in a coupled circuit

In summary, the question is about optimizing a simplified RFID system's circuit resonance and calculating the needed capacitance for optimal performance. The concern is whether the mutual inductance between two circuits should be considered, and if so, how to calculate the needed capacitance. The suggestion is to use different values for the mutual coupling coefficients and to use SPICE for optimization, while also accurately modeling the source and load impedances.
temujin
Dear Forum,

My question is to the circuit drawing I have attached. (representing a simplified rfid system, with "Circuit 1 being the tranceiver antenna, "Load" being a transponder and "Circuit 2" represents an additional circuit between)
For optimal performance the circuit should resonate at a given frequency. When calculating the needed capacitance in circuit 1, do I have to consider the mutual inductance between L1 and L2 ? (For now I assume the coupling factor between L3 and L4 is small compared to the coupling factor between L1 and L2.)

[tex]Z_{1}=R+\frac{1}{j\omega C_{1}}+j\omega L_{1}-j\omega M[/tex]

And that the needed capacitance is simply such that it cancels out the inductive reactance given by [tex]j\omega L_{1}[/tex] and [tex]jwM[/tex].
Am I on the right track?
If I am, I assume that the capacitor C2 must be found the same way?

best regards
eirik

Attachments

• circuit.jpg
    circuit.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 434
Engineering news on Phys.org
First, use different values for the two "M" mutual coupling coefficients. Call them M1 and M2. Second, I would prefer to use SPICE to help with optimizing this circuit -- the multiple resonances cause complications. Lastly, be sure to model the source and load complex impedances well -- they will interact with the whole system.

1. What is resonance in a coupled circuit?

Resonance in a coupled circuit refers to the phenomenon where two or more circuits share a mutual inductance and exchange energy between each other, resulting in a sharp increase in current and voltage. This occurs when the combined reactance of the circuits becomes zero, leading to maximum energy transfer.

2. How does resonance occur in a coupled circuit?

Resonance in a coupled circuit occurs when the natural frequencies of the individual circuits are equal or very close to each other. This allows for maximum energy transfer between the circuits, resulting in a sharp increase in current and voltage.

3. What factors affect resonance in a coupled circuit?

The factors that affect resonance in a coupled circuit include the values of the inductance and capacitance in each circuit, the mutual inductance between the circuits, and the frequency of the input signal. Any changes in these factors can affect the resonance frequency and the amount of energy transferred between the circuits.

4. How is resonance in a coupled circuit beneficial?

Resonance in a coupled circuit is beneficial because it allows for efficient energy transfer between circuits. This can be useful in applications such as wireless power transfer and in electronic circuits where precise and efficient energy transfer is required.

5. What are some practical applications of resonance in a coupled circuit?

Some practical applications of resonance in a coupled circuit include wireless power transfer, radio frequency identification (RFID) systems, and inductively coupled plasma (ICP) etching in semiconductor manufacturing. Resonance in a coupled circuit is also used in electronic filters to select specific frequencies and in communication systems to amplify signals.