Resonance in a coupled circuit

• Thread starter temujin
  • Start date
Dear Forum,

My question is to the circuit drawing I have attached. (representing a simplified rfid system, with "Circuit 1 being the tranceiver antenna, "Load" being a transponder and "Circuit 2" represents an additional circuit between)
For optimal performance the circuit should resonate at a given frequency. When calculating the needed capacitance in circuit 1, do I have to consider the mutual inductance between L1 and L2 ? (For now I assume the coupling factor between L3 and L4 is small compared to the coupling factor between L1 and L2.)

[tex]Z_{1}=R+\frac{1}{j\omega C_{1}}+j\omega L_{1}-j\omega M[/tex]

And that the needed capacitance is simply such that it cancels out the inductive reactance given by [tex]j\omega L_{1}[/tex] and [tex]jwM[/tex].
Am I on the right track????
If I am, I assume that the capacitor C2 must be found the same way?

best regards
eirik

Attachments

Answers and Replies

berkeman
Mentor
First, use different values for the two "M" mutual coupling coefficients. Call them M1 and M2. Second, I would prefer to use SPICE to help with optimizing this circuit -- the multiple resonances cause complications. Lastly, be sure to model the source and load complex impedances well -- they will interact with the whole system.