1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Resonance in LC(R) parallel circuit

1. Nov 20, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I did an experiment as followed

Given following circuit
    IMG096.png
    I measured voltage across capacitor and reciprocal frequency of the generator. espilon, L, C, R, and R_E were given.

In one configuration, R was shorted.

I have to calculate relative frequencies (gamma) (easy - resonance frequency divided by frequency) and relative impedances (zeta); q factors and (absolute and relative) bandwidths. I also have to find a relation between U_C and gamma.

I have no idea whether I did this experiment right - is voltage across capacitor even relevant in this case? What information is possible to extract from this data? What should graphs I vs gamma; U vs gamma; zeta vs gamma look like?

2. Relevant equations

In my lecture notes, there's this formula

[itex]M(\gamma)=\frac{Z}{Z*}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{1+Q^2(\gamma-\frac{1}{\gamma})^2}}[/itex]

where gamma is relative frequency, Z is impedance, Z* is probably impedance at resonance frequency and Q is ... Q factor.

[itex]I_C=\omega\epsilon{C}[/itex]

where I_C is current in capacitor.

And there's also this thing

[itex]Z=\frac{L}{C}\frac{1}{\sqrt{R^2+(\omega{L}-\frac{1}{\omega{C}})^2}}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I think the last equation is not complete, so I added R_E and experimented with this value. It gave me silly numbers for Q (it clearly didn't match with plot).

I also plotted {U_C, I_C, Z, zeta} vs {frequency, gamma} (all combinations imaginable) and they all looked like typical resonance curves. Not sure about that whether it's a good sign or not..

I fiddled around with my data and found this relation

[itex]U_C=\frac{U_{C,RESONANCE}}{\sqrt{1+Q^2(\omega-\frac{1}{\omega})^2}}[/itex]

If more information is needed (e.g. graphs, example data), I'll provide it.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted