Resonance in tube filled with air

In summary: This gives you:f1 = v/d + x f1 = v/4L + x f1 = v/2L + xSo, if you wanted to find the velocity for a specific frequency, you would solve for x and use that in your equation. In summary, bharp24 tried to find the velocity of sound for a specific frequency by using the wavelength/2 equation, but he got nowhere because he did not know the speed of sound. He needs to find the speed of sound and then use that in the equation.
bharp24

Homework Statement

A long tube contains air at a pressure of 1.00 atm and a temperature of 77.0 degrees celsius. The tube is open at one end and closed at the other by a movable piston. A tuning fork near the open end is vibrating with a frequency of 500 Hz. Resonance is produced when the piston is at distances 18.0, 55.5, and 93.0 cm from the open end.

These data show that a displacement antinode is slightly outside of the open end of the tube. How far outside is it?

Homework Equations

f1 = v/4L
f1 = v/2L

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried this a couple times, and got .008m. I use mastering physics, and don't have many attempts left, because apparently my answer is wrong. I can't figure out what it is I am doing incorrectly.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi bharp24! :smile:

Show us what you did, so that we can see where you've gone wrong and help you. :smile:

my TA helped me in class, and even he said he is not sure if this was the right way to go about it, but this is what we did:

antinode occurs at wavelength/2
we assigned a variable to the different distances the piston is
from knowing the frequency we found the velocity by f/wavelength (this is 375 m/s)
and then, he told me to set up another equation--> v = Sqrt((gamma*R*T)/(M)) and solve for gamma

all of this has gotten me nowhere and the problem is due soon. I have no idea how to produce the correct answer...I don't think my TA has a clue either. If you could help, I would greatly appreciate it!

Hi bharp24,

I don't think you can find the velocity from the wavelength; you will not know the wavelength until you know the speed of sound. (You can find the speed of sound because you know the air temperature.)

For example, you have in your equation that the wavelength equals 4L (for a specific frequency); in another you have 2L. That is true, but what is L? L is the distance from one node to the next antinode. In many problems (most?) you would say that L is the length of the tube, but here they are being more realistic: the antinode is slightly outside the tube, so L = d + x, where d is the length of the tube and x is the distance you are trying to find.

What is resonance in a tube filled with air?

Resonance in a tube filled with air is a phenomenon where sound waves are amplified due to the vibrations of the air molecules inside the tube.

How does resonance occur in a tube filled with air?

Resonance occurs in a tube filled with air when the frequency of the sound waves matches the natural frequency of the air column inside the tube. This causes the air molecules to vibrate in sync, amplifying the sound.

What factors affect resonance in a tube filled with air?

The length and diameter of the tube, as well as the temperature and composition of the air, all affect resonance in a tube filled with air. A longer and narrower tube will have a lower natural frequency, while a shorter and wider tube will have a higher natural frequency.

What is the application of resonance in a tube filled with air?

Resonance in a tube filled with air has various applications in musical instruments, such as flutes and clarinets, where the length of the tube can be manipulated to produce different pitches. It is also used in engineering for designing structures that can withstand vibrations.

How does resonance in a tube filled with air differ from other types of resonance?

Resonance in a tube filled with air is a form of acoustic resonance, which involves sound waves. Other types of resonance include mechanical resonance, which involves physical vibrations, and electrical resonance, which involves oscillating electric currents.