Find Resoance Frequency for Electric Motor Mass of 100 kg

• Thread starter bullet_ballet
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resonance
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation for resonance in an electric motor supported by vertical springs. The formula used is F = kx - mg = 0, and to achieve resonance, ω must equal ω0, which is √(k/m) or √(g/x). The correct answer for resonance is found to be 945 rpm, rather than the previously mentioned 1878 rpm. The error was due to using the incorrect value for x, which was later corrected to result in the accurate resonance value.
bullet_ballet
"An electric motor of mass 100 kg is supported by vertical springs which compress by 1 mm when the motor is installed. If the motor's armature is not properly balanced, for what revolutions/minute would a resonance occur?"

I set my frame of reference at the end of the spring. Therefore, F = kx - mg = 0. To get resonance ω must equal ω0 which is √(k/m) or √(g/x). I know g to be 9.82 m/s² and x to be 1 mm. Therefore, √(g/x) = 31.3 rps or 1878 rpm. The book lists 955 rpm, so where did I go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
you used x = 1 mm as if it was x = 1 m.

suffian said:
you used x = 1 mm as if it was x = 1 m.

I see that I made the mistake of dividing g by .01m and not .001m, but that only makes the answer worse at 5950 rpm. My mistake is definitely more fundamental, but I can't see it.

sqrt(g/x) = sqrt( [ 9.80 m/s² ]/[ .001 m ] ) = 98.99 rad/s = [ 98.99 rad/s ][ 1/2pi rev/rad ][ 60 s/min ] = 945 rpm.

Thanks a lot.

1. What is resonance frequency?

Resonance frequency is the frequency at which an object naturally vibrates or oscillates with the least amount of external force applied.

2. Why is it important to find the resonance frequency for an electric motor?

Finding the resonance frequency for an electric motor is important because it helps determine the natural frequency at which the motor is most efficient and stable. This information can be used to optimize the motor's performance and prevent any potential damage from occurring.

3. How is the resonance frequency of an electric motor calculated?

The resonance frequency of an electric motor can be calculated using the formula f = 1/(2π√(L*C)), where f is the resonance frequency, L is the inductance of the motor, and C is the capacitance of the motor.

4. What factors can affect the resonance frequency of an electric motor?

The resonance frequency of an electric motor can be affected by factors such as the mass of the motor, the stiffness of the motor's components, and the amount of resistance in the motor's circuit. Additionally, any changes in these factors can also impact the resonance frequency.

5. How can the resonance frequency of an electric motor be adjusted?

The resonance frequency of an electric motor can be adjusted by changing the mass or stiffness of the motor's components, or by altering the amount of resistance in the motor's circuit. These adjustments can be made during the design and manufacturing process or through modifications to the motor after it has been built.