1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Resonance problem

1. Oct 4, 2005 #1
    Problem with Standing Waves in Air Columns

Hello, i'm having problems with this problem, lol...so far, i have found one of the main components of the following question, but I don't know where to go from there. please help

Water is pumped into a tall vertical cylinder at a volume flow rate R. The radius of the cylinder is r, and at the open top of the cylinder a tuning fork is vibrating with a frequency f. As the water rises, how much time elapses between successive resonances?

Ok, so far, this is what I got. I consider R to be V (volume) and since volume of a cylinder is pi(r^2)h where h is the height and equal to L. And since this considers harmonics, L= (wavelength)/4, therefore f= (V speed of sound)/(4L)
    So I replaced L with (Volume/area of base or R/(pi*r^2) and solved to find frequency. But i don't know where to go about finding the TIME ELAPSED!!
    Please help. Thank you
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2005 #2
    Please Helpp!!!!!!
  4. Oct 4, 2005 #3
  5. Oct 5, 2005 #4

Homework Helper

The water is rising in the cylinder which is behaving as a resonance column(closed organ pipe). With the rise in the level of water the length of air column is decreasing at a rate of [tex] \frac {R}{ \pi r^2} [/tex] m/sec.

For the resonance to occur in the closed organ pipe the lengths of the air column should be [tex] (2n + 1) \frac {\lambda}{4} [/tex]
    hence the difference in the lengths for successive resonance is [tex] \frac {\lambda}{2}[/tex]

So find the interval for which water rises by [tex] \frac {\lambda}{2}[/tex]
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?