Negative Charge Stability: Oxygen vs. Carbon/Nitrogen

In summary, the stability of a negative charge depends on the difference in electronegativity between the atoms involved and the resonance forms available for the resulting anion. The spread of a negative charge over multiple electronegative atoms, such as in carboxylate and sulfonate anions, is more stable due to the equal energy contribution of resonance forms. The sp hybridization of a terminal alkyne makes it more acidic than other types of carbanions, while the greater stability of the amide anion compared to the acetylide anion is a memorization fact.
Zayn
Why is it that it is more stable for a negative charge to be spread over 2 oxygens than one oxygen and 3 carbon atoms? Following that logic, why is it more stable to spread a negative charge over 3 oxygen atoms than over 1 oxygen atom and one nitrogen atom? Is it because the difference in electronegativity is much greater between the oxygen and carbon than it is between the oxygen and nitrogen?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Just to extend this idea, at what point does a hybrid carbon atom stabilize charge better than a more electronegative atom? For example, according to my textbook, an sp-hybrid C atom stabilizes negative charge better than a nitrogen atom. At what point does hybridization's effect overcome electronegativity?

Zayn said:
Why is it that it is more stable for a negative charge to be spread over 2 oxygens than one oxygen and 3 carbon atoms?
It's clear that you have an example in mind, but for the life of me, I can't figure out what it is. I don't think you're asking what you think you're asking.

Here's what it appears you're asking: Why is the electron affinity for O2 higher than for C3O? and why is the electron affinity for O3 higher than for NO?

Is this what you're asking, or do you want to clarify?

EDIT: the reason I ask is because these are very strange questions about some very strange species (C3O in particular, which only really exists in outer space or maybe transiently in flames).

TeethWhitener said:
It's clear that you have an example in mind, but for the life of me, I can't figure out what it is. I don't think you're asking what you think you're asking.

Here's what it appears you're asking: Why is the electron affinity for O2 higher than for C3O? and why is the electron affinity for O3 higher than for NO?

Is this what you're asking, or do you want to clarify?

EDIT: the reason I ask is because these are very strange questions about some very strange species (C3O in particular, which only really exists in outer space or maybe transiently in flames).
You're right, I'm asking about a specific example from my organic chemistry textbook, but I didn't want to say that as I'm not asking for homework help; I'm just wondering why this is the case. As I understand it, these questions are here as examples of exceptions to the ARIO (atom, resonance, induction, orbitals) rule learned in the textbook.

The question asks to determine which proton is the most acidic

Here is an imgur album that shows the questions with their answers

I’m still not getting how the problem you linked to in post 4 is related to the questions you asked in posts 1 and 2. If you want to know why a terminal alkyne is acidic, that’s fairly straightforward. It’s because the electrons in the sp hybridized orbital on the carbon are less shielded from the nucleus than in sp2 or sp3 orbitals (because of the higher s character). So the acetylide conjugate base is more stable than an alkenylide or alkylide carbanion. In contrast, the NR2- anion is quite unstable.

Why the amide is so much more basic than the acetylide, well, unfortunately that’s just something you’ll probably have to memorize. I don’t think there’s any systematic reason why that’s t he case. If it helps you to remember, the acetylide salt is usually made by combining an alkyne and an amide (e.g., acetylene + sodium amide gives sodium acetylide + ammonia).

In addition to the electronegativity difference, there is the fact that in the carboxylate and sulfonate anions there are 2 or 3 resonance forms that are identical (assuming free rotation about the ring-substituent bond), and therefore equal in energy and contributing equally to the resonance hybrid. By contrast, in the phenolate anion, the resonance forms with negative charge on carbon are of higher energy than the one with negative charge on oxygen, and therefore make less of a contribution to the overall resonance hybrid.

Likes Zayn
TeethWhitener said:
I’m still not getting how the problem you linked to in post 4 is related to the questions you asked in posts 1 and 2. If you want to know why a terminal alkyne is acidic, that’s fairly straightforward. It’s because the electrons in the sp hybridized orbital on the carbon are less shielded from the nucleus than in sp2 or sp3 orbitals (because of the higher s character). So the acetylide conjugate base is more stable than an alkenylide or alkylide carbanion. In contrast, the NR2- anion is quite unstable.

Why the amide is so much more basic than the acetylide, well, unfortunately that’s just something you’ll probably have to memorize. I don’t think there’s any systematic reason why that’s t he case. If it helps you to remember, the acetylide salt is usually made by combining an alkyne and an amide (e.g., acetylene + sodium amide gives sodium acetylide + ammonia).
I understand that, but my question was more along the lines of: Why is an sp2 hybrid C less able to stabilize the charge than nitrogen, but sp is better than nitrogen (I understand the principle that hybrid orbitals are closer to the nucleus and thus better able to stabilize -ve charge); at what point is the effect of C hybridization > electronegativity. I guess it's just been experimentally determined to be so, and, as you said, it's something that should just be memorized. And as for the other two examples, I was trying to understand how charge spread over 1 O + 1 C + 1 C + 1 C < 2 O, but from what mjc123 has said, it seems like it's not something that be understood as an equation.

It can be calculated using quantum chemistry programs, but unfortunately, there’s no simple heuristic way to calculate it. Slater’s rules aren’t really much help, for example, in determining how shielded the excess electron is.

1. What is negative charge stability?

Negative charge stability refers to the tendency of a molecule or atom to maintain its negative charge in a given chemical environment. This stability is influenced by factors such as electronegativity, atomic size, and molecular structure.

2. How does oxygen compare to carbon and nitrogen in terms of negative charge stability?

Oxygen generally has higher negative charge stability than carbon and nitrogen due to its higher electronegativity and smaller atomic size. This allows oxygen to more effectively attract and hold onto negative charges.

3. Why is negative charge stability important in chemical reactions?

Negative charge stability plays a crucial role in determining the outcome of chemical reactions. Molecules or atoms with higher negative charge stability are less likely to undergo reactions that involve the loss of electrons, making them more stable and less reactive.

4. How does the molecular structure affect negative charge stability?

The molecular structure, particularly the arrangement of atoms and bonds, can greatly influence negative charge stability. For example, a molecule with a delocalized negative charge, such as a benzene ring, will have higher stability compared to a molecule with a localized negative charge, such as a carboxylic acid.

5. Can negative charge stability be manipulated?

Yes, negative charge stability can be manipulated through chemical reactions or changes in the chemical environment. For example, the addition of electron-withdrawing groups can increase the negative charge stability of a molecule, while the presence of solvents or other molecules can also affect stability.