Resonance raman spectroscopy for analysing metallobiosite

In summary, the question asked is why it is not possible to study the water bound to zinc in an aqueous solution when using resonance Raman spectroscopy to study carbonic anhydrase with zinc at the biosite. The reason for this is because water is transparent to the wavelength of radiation used in this type of spectroscopy, making it difficult to detect any changes caused by the water molecules.
wh00pwh00p

Homework Statement

The question relates to carbonic anhydrase with Zinc at the biosite. (1ca2 on protein data bank).

Q: Why can you not study the water bound to the zinc when the molecule is in an aqueous solution?

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

I've had a few thoughts but I am getting myself confused...

My course materials tell me that water is transparent to the wavelength of radiation being used (UV-Vis), but that was simply in relation to raman spectroscopy.

Is this still the case of resonance raman spectroscopy?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is it because the water molecules are just too small/transparent for the experiment to detect any changes? Any advice would be much appreciated.

What is resonance Raman spectroscopy?

Resonance Raman spectroscopy is a technique used to study the vibrational and electronic properties of molecules. It involves exposing a sample to a specific wavelength of light and measuring the scattered light to determine the molecular structure and chemical bonds present.

How does resonance Raman spectroscopy work?

In resonance Raman spectroscopy, a laser of a specific wavelength is used to excite the sample. This excitation causes the molecules to vibrate, producing a Raman scattered light that is then measured. The scattered light contains information about the vibrational and electronic properties of the molecules, which can be used to identify and analyze the sample.

What is the advantage of using resonance Raman spectroscopy for analysing metallobiosite?

Resonance Raman spectroscopy is particularly useful for analyzing metallobiosites because it can provide information about the metal-ligand bonding and the electronic environment around the metal ion. This can help identify the specific metal ion present in the biosite and its coordination environment, providing valuable insights into the function and properties of the molecule.

What are some common applications of resonance Raman spectroscopy in metallobiosite research?

Resonance Raman spectroscopy has a wide range of applications in metallobiosite research. It can be used to study the structure and function of metalloproteins, identify metal ions in biological samples, and investigate the effects of metal coordination on enzyme activity and function. It is also useful for studying metal ion transport and binding in biological systems.

What are the limitations of resonance Raman spectroscopy for analysing metallobiosite?

Although resonance Raman spectroscopy is a powerful tool for studying metallobiosites, it does have some limitations. The technique requires high-quality samples and can be sensitive to sample preparation and experimental conditions. It also has limited sensitivity for detecting low concentrations of metal ions in biological samples. Additionally, resonance Raman spectroscopy cannot provide information about the three-dimensional structure of a molecule, so it is often used in combination with other techniques for a more complete analysis.