Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Resonance Square

1. Sep 19, 2006 #1

I thought that this would be an interesting video for physics majors:
    Resonance Square

I posted it here, because the experiment appears to involve 'wave function'.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yeah, that's pretty cool. I've never seen such a demonstration live though (but that's okay, because here I can turn down the volume on my speakers).

IIRC the eigenmodes of such a vibration membrane are Bessel functions. The sand will be thrown away from the vibrating places and settle down in the nodal lines, which you can calculate. So by observing the shapes you can directly compare theory and experiment and see which resonance mode you have hit.
  4. Sep 19, 2006 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Here is a site which explains a bit about Chladni plates
  5. Sep 21, 2006 #4
    That was freaking awesome!
  6. Sep 24, 2006 #5

Claude Bile

Science Advisor

Circular symmetry gives Bessel modes, while cartesian symmetry gives Hermitian modes.

The modes in the demonstration are not Bessel functions or Hermite polynomials, but an interesting blend of both. The blending possibly comes about because you have a membrane with cartesian symmetry, yet the driving force (speaker) is rotationally symmetric.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?