Ans: Resonance Structures: Checking Answers Correctness

In summary, In Resonance Structure 1, the Inductive effect (induction) attracts electrons and affects up to three bonds as electron attracting group. In Resonance Structure 3-8, the Mesomeric effect affects Pi-bonds as long as there are Pi-bonds. The Electron donating group (-NR2, -OR, -R) pull the electrons and the Electron attracting group (-NO2, -CO-, -COO-, -CN, -SO3R, halogen) attract the electrons.
chemJan2021
Thread moved from the technical forums to the schoolwork forums
Summary:: I would like to know if my answers of each resonance structure of the eight questions is correct or not.
I think the Inductive effect (induction) attracts electrons and affects up to three bonds as electron attracting group.
And the Mesomeric effect affects Pi- bonds as long as there are Pi-bonds.
And the Electron donating group (-NR2, -OR, -R) pull the electrons and the Electron attracting group (-NO2, -CO-, -COO-, -CN, -SO3R, halogen) attract the electrons.

Attachments

• 6E9FC3E2-4AFD-4750-9F97-6224172AB00C.jpeg
    6E9FC3E2-4AFD-4750-9F97-6224172AB00C.jpeg
    60.3 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
2 is right, the others are wrong (or 1 is incomplete). -OR is mesomerically electron donating, not attracting. Try drawing in all the lone pairs and counting electrons, and see why your suggested structures are wrong.

Likes chemJan2021
Thank you for useful comments!
I really appreciate it! I’ll check and try drawing to get to know correct answers.

I rethink the answers of these seven questions of resonance structure (1, 3-8). I hope these are correct.
I think as there are only one Pi-bond in 1-7 questions, there is no mesomeric effect in these questions.
I couldn’t understand the answer of the eighth question is wrong. The answer of the eighth question is correct?

Attachments

• C033C59A-CD74-47BB-A8DD-0C21099EAFB8.jpeg
    C033C59A-CD74-47BB-A8DD-0C21099EAFB8.jpeg
    76.1 KB · Views: 137
They are all mesomeric; it's just that the pi bond is conjugated with a lone pair rather than another pi bond. 1-4 and 8 are correct. (In 8, the unconjugated pi bond is not involved in the resonance.) In 7 you have omitted the positive charge on the N. 5 and 6 are wrong - you are trying to move the pi bond to a saturated carbon. They are analogous to 3 and 4.

• Informative
Likes jim mcnamara, berkeman and chemJan2021
Thank you for your insightful comments!
I understand mesomeric effect in these resonance structure.
I understand the electrons of pi bond cannot be transferred to a saturated carbon and but to the next carbon of the pi bond. I think the electrons of pi bond can be transferred to a next cation of carbon but not to a saturated carbon.
I appreciate your quite useful teaching!

Attachments

• FDC42CFF-DBC9-4E4E-A340-CCB4E20A7CF1.jpeg
    FDC42CFF-DBC9-4E4E-A340-CCB4E20A7CF1.jpeg
    68.4 KB · Views: 129
Likes docnet
These are now correct, except that there is a positive charge on the N in the RHS of 6. Remember to keep the total charge constant!

Thank you for your useful comment!
I’ll try to check to keep the total charge constant.
I put positive charge on the M in the RHS of no.6.
Your clear explanation helped me understand these resonance structures, thank you!

Likes jim mcnamara

1. What are resonance structures?

Resonance structures are different Lewis structures that can be drawn for a molecule or ion by moving electrons around. These structures have the same arrangement of atoms but differ in the placement of electrons.

2. How do you check the correctness of resonance structures?

The best way to check the correctness of resonance structures is to follow the rules of resonance, such as maintaining the same number of valence electrons and minimizing formal charges. Additionally, the more stable the resonance structure, the more likely it is to contribute to the overall structure of the molecule.

3. Can resonance structures be used to explain the properties of a molecule?

Yes, resonance structures can be used to explain the properties of a molecule. The different resonance structures contribute to the overall structure of the molecule, affecting its shape, bond lengths, and bond strengths. This can ultimately impact the molecule's physical and chemical properties.

4. Are resonance structures real or just theoretical concepts?

Resonance structures are theoretical concepts used to represent the electronic structure of a molecule. They do not actually exist as separate structures, but rather as a combination of all possible structures. However, they are useful in understanding the electronic distribution and properties of a molecule.

5. Are resonance structures always necessary to draw for a molecule?

No, resonance structures are not always necessary to draw for a molecule. Some molecules have a single dominant resonance structure, while others may have multiple equally important structures. It is important to draw resonance structures when they contribute significantly to the overall structure and properties of the molecule.