Measuring Speed of Sound with Resonance Tube Experiment

In summary, the student conducted an experiment to measure the speed of sound using the resonance air-column method. Two resonances were observed at different water levels, with the first resonance occurring at a shorter air column and the second resonance at a longer air column. The correct options for the experiment are A) and D), which state that the intensity of sound is higher at the first resonance and the length of the air column at the first resonance is shorter than 1/4th of the wavelength. The arrangement of nodes and antinodes at the first resonance is an antinode at the open end of the tube and a node at the water column. There may be some end correction to consider in the measurements.
utkarshakash
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A student performed the experiment to measure the speed of sound in air using resonance air-column method. Two resonances in air column were obtained by lowering the water level. The resonance with the shorter air column is the first resonance and that with the longer air column is the second resonance. Then choose correct options

A) The intensity of sound heard at the first resonance was more than that at the second resonance.
B)the prongs of the tuning fork were kept in a horizontal plane above the resonance tube.
C)the amplitude of vibration of the ends of the prongs is typically around 1cm.
D)the length of the air column at the first resonance was somewhat shorter than 1/4th of the wavelength of the sound in air.

The Attempt at a Solution

If I consider first option, I don't think it is correct as the intensity will not change. In both cases resonance occurs. So it should be same. option B) is incorrect as it is kept in vertical plane. I have no idea about C). The difference in length of two air columns should be λ/2. But from this I cannot make out about length of first air column.

Physics news on Phys.org
utkarshakash said:
If I consider first option, I don't think it is correct as the intensity will not change. In both cases resonance occurs. So it should be same.
Seems reasonable.
option B) is incorrect as it is kept in vertical plane.
Right.
I have no idea about C).
Roughly how far apart are the prongs (at rest)? Could they oscillate by 1cm?
The difference in length of two air columns should be λ/2. But from this I cannot make out about length of first air column.
What is the arrangement of nodes and antinodes at the first resonance?

haruspex said:
What is the arrangement of nodes and antinodes at the first resonance?

At first resonance antinode is present at the open end of the tube and node is present at the water column.

utkarshakash said:
At first resonance antinode is present at the open end of the tube and node is present at the water column.
So what fraction of a wavelength does that represent?

haruspex said:
So what fraction of a wavelength does that represent?

It should be λ/4.

utkarshakash said:
It should be λ/4.
Right. So the question is, is there some reason that it would be "somewhat shorter" than that.
I can't think of one, but I might be missing something. Check your course notes.

haruspex said:
Right. So the question is, is there some reason that it would be "somewhat shorter" than that.
I can't think of one, but I might be missing something. Check your course notes.

Sometimes we also take in consideration the end correction. So it should be somewhat longer rather than shorter. The correct options according to answer key are A) and D).

utkarshakash said:
Sometimes we also take in consideration the end correction. So it should be somewhat longer rather than shorter.

Are you sure you don't have that backwards? According to http://www.fonema.se/mouthcorr/mouthcorr.htm, "the pipe appears to be acoustically somewhat longer than its physical length". That means the physical length will be less then a quarter wavelength.

haruspex said:
Are you sure you don't have that backwards? According to http://www.fonema.se/mouthcorr/mouthcorr.htm, "the pipe appears to be acoustically somewhat longer than its physical length". That means the physical length will be less then a quarter wavelength.

Ok. But what about option A)? My answer key says that it is also the correct option.

utkarshakash said:
Ok. But what about option A)? My answer key says that it is also the correct option.
Can't help you with that one, sorry.

1. What is the purpose of a resonance tube experiment?

The purpose of a resonance tube experiment is to determine the speed of sound in air by observing the resonance of a column of air in a tube. This can provide insight into the properties of sound waves and the behavior of air molecules.

2. How does a resonance tube work?

A resonance tube is a hollow tube that is partially filled with water. By adjusting the water level and using a tuning fork to create sound waves, the column of air in the tube will resonate at certain frequencies. This is due to the reflection of sound waves at the closed end of the tube and the interference patterns that are created.

3. What factors affect the resonance in a resonance tube experiment?

The length of the tube, the temperature of the air, and the frequency of the tuning fork all affect the resonance in a resonance tube experiment. Additionally, the material and diameter of the tube can also have an impact on the results.

4. How is the speed of sound calculated in a resonance tube experiment?

The speed of sound can be calculated by measuring the distance between the water level and the closed end of the tube, as well as the frequency of the tuning fork. By using the formula v = fλ, where v is the speed of sound, f is the frequency, and λ is the wavelength, the speed of sound can be determined.

5. What are the limitations of a resonance tube experiment?

A resonance tube experiment is limited by factors such as human error in measuring and recording data, as well as external factors like air currents and background noise. Additionally, the experiment assumes ideal conditions and does not take into account factors such as air humidity or the diameter of the tube, which can impact the results.