What is the Resonant Frequency of a 2-Year Old's Outer Ear?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the resonant frequency of the average 2-year-old's outer ear and drawing a diagram of the natural harmonic for the child's ear. The equation f=v/wavelength is used to calculate the frequency, and the fundamental waveform is needed for the diagram. The conversation also clarifies that the question is not asking for a driven damped harmonic oscillator resonance curve, but rather a simpler diagram like the ones shown on the provided website.
Derek1997

Homework Statement

A 2-year old child has an outer ear length of approximately 1.7 cm (compared to 2.5 cmfor an adult). Find the resonant frequency of the outer ear of the average 2 year old
b.Draw a diagram of the natural harmonic for the child’s ear.

Homework Equations

f=v/waveleng
where wavelengt= 4L

The Attempt at a Solution

for a, i used the equation, for baby i got 343/0.068= 5.04KHz am i right?
Also for b, do i need to draw the damped version of the graph? cheers.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct on (a)
For (b) you need to draw the fundamental waveform that you used to answer part (a). I am not sure what you mean by "damped version."

kuruman said:
You are correct on (a)
For (b) you need to draw the fundamental waveform that you used to answer part (a). I am not sure what you mean by "damped version."
Hi, so the one on which the graph rises at 5khz and the falls back down. so what i mean is it's moving straightline as it approaches 5khz, it will rise then decrease as we pass the 5. is it right?

ohhh so you mean the tube one? in which it has a close at one end?

Yes.

Likes Derek1997
kuruman said:
Yes.
like for you son <3

1. What is resonant frequency?

Resonant frequency is the natural frequency at which an object vibrates or oscillates with the greatest amplitude. This frequency is determined by the object's physical properties, such as mass and stiffness.

2. What is the resonant frequency problem?

The resonant frequency problem occurs when an object is exposed to a periodic force at or near its resonant frequency. This can cause the object to resonate or vibrate with a large amplitude, which can lead to structural damage or failure.

3. How can resonant frequency problems be prevented?

Resonant frequency problems can be prevented by avoiding exposure to the object's resonant frequency or by implementing damping techniques. Damping reduces the amplitude of vibrations and dissipates the energy, reducing the risk of damage.

4. What are some real-world examples of resonant frequency problems?

Some examples of resonant frequency problems include the collapse of the Tacoma Narrows Bridge in 1940 due to wind-induced resonance, the failure of a pedestrian bridge in South Africa in 2017 due to a crowd of people marching in step, and the destruction of the Millennium Bridge in London in 2000 due to pedestrian-induced resonance.

5. How is resonant frequency used in scientific research?

Resonant frequency is used in various fields of science, such as acoustics, optics, and electronics, to study the properties of materials and systems. It is also used in medical imaging techniques, such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), to produce high-quality images of the body's tissues and organs.