1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Resonant Structures

1. Nov 3, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Draw at least one resonant structure of the nitrate ion in [tex]AgNO_{3}[/tex].

3. The attempt at a solution
    Is this a possible resonant structure of the nitrate ion?

avo7iq.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2009 #2
    You want a Lewis Dot Structure of AgNO3, not just NO3-.

4. Nov 4, 2009 #3

Borek

Staff: Mentor

I don't think so - question asks for structure of nitrate ion, and in general structure of nitrate ion doesn't depend on the counterion.

temaire: resonant structure should have localized charge. How many valence electrons on N?

--
    methods

5. Nov 4, 2009 #4
    I think I see where I went wrong. My diagram has 12 valence electrons for N, while I'm supposed to have only 8. But how do resonant structures have localized charges? Shouldn't they have delocalized charges?

6. Nov 4, 2009 #5

Borek

Staff: Mentor

No, delocalized charge is effect of switching between resonant strutures. Charge is localized in any individual structure, but as molecule switches between them very fast, what we observe is charge that is delocalized.

--
    methods

7. Nov 4, 2009 #6
    So, if I was asked to come up with a resonant structure for the nitrate ion, I would have to include all of the possible lewis dot diagrams for nitrate ions with a certain number of single or double bonds?

8. Nov 4, 2009 #7

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, indeed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook