Understanding the Physics of Resonant Tunneling Diodes

In summary: Ebay offers wide selection of used books with a cheap price, and worldwide delivery within 2 weeksOK, obviously I'am not well informed about that, so I'll see about that. Thanks!
Nemanja989
Hello :) ,

Does anyone know some good paper or book from were it's possible to learn physics behind of work of resonant tunneling diode(RTD)? In last semester I had course in ˝microelectronics and nanoelectronics˝ and we studied basic principle on which RTD works, and it was very interesting to me, so I would like to learn more about it. I asked professor for some additional literature, but I had nothing from there.

So if someone have some suggestion, please tell me about it :).

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Nemanja989 said:
Hello :) ,

Does anyone know some good paper or book from were it's possible to learn physics behind of work of resonant tunneling diode(RTD)? In last semester I had course in ˝microelectronics and nanoelectronics˝ and we studied basic principle on which RTD works, and it was very interesting to me, so I would like to learn more about it. I asked professor for some additional literature, but I had nothing from there.

So if someone have some suggestion, please tell me about it :).

Thanks!

Sounds interesting. A Google search gives lots of hits -- you probably have seem most of them by now. There's a book at Amazon on the first page of hits that may be of help:

http://www.google.com/search?source...4GGLL_enUS301US302&q=resonant+tunneling+diode

Thanks :) , I saw it. But there is a problem with that, because I don't have that much money for that :( , and I don't live in western countries so I don't think it could be sent to me, here in Serbia :(

Nemanja989 said:
Thanks :) , I saw it. But there is a problem with that, because I don't have that much money for that :( , and I don't live in western countries so I don't think it could be sent to me, here in Serbia :(

Ebay offers wide selection of used books with a cheap price, and worldwide delivery within 2 weeks

OK, obviously I'am not well informed about that, so I'll see about that. Thanks!

What is a resonant tunneling diode?

A resonant tunneling diode is a type of semiconductor device that utilizes quantum tunneling to achieve high speed and high frequency operation. It consists of two heavily doped layers separated by a thin barrier layer, creating a resonant energy state that allows electrons to tunnel through the barrier with minimal resistance.

How does a resonant tunneling diode work?

A resonant tunneling diode works by creating a resonant energy state in the barrier layer between the two heavily doped layers. When a voltage is applied, electrons can tunnel through the barrier and flow from one layer to the other, creating a current. This process can occur at high speeds, making resonant tunneling diodes useful for high frequency applications.

What are the advantages of using a resonant tunneling diode?

Resonant tunneling diodes have several advantages, including high switching speeds, low power consumption, and the ability to operate at high frequencies. They also have a small size and can be integrated into other electronic devices, making them useful for applications such as high-speed communication systems and ultra-fast computing.

What are the limitations of resonant tunneling diodes?

One limitation of resonant tunneling diodes is their sensitivity to temperature. Changes in temperature can affect the resonant energy state and cause fluctuations in device performance. They also have a limited range of operating voltages, making them less versatile than other semiconductor devices.

What are some potential applications of resonant tunneling diodes?

Resonant tunneling diodes have potential uses in high-speed communication systems, such as ultra-fast transceivers and wireless networks. They can also be used in high-speed computing, such as in logic gates and memory cells. Other potential applications include ultra-sensitive sensors and quantum computing.