Can a Wineglass Shatter from Two Notes?

• Thread starter pkc111
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Glass
In summary, if a wineglass can be made that shatters when a loud enough pure high C is played (because the resonace frequency of the winegalss is a high C), and if an F (same volume) were played at the same time, would the wineglass shatter? My gut reaction is that if the original sine wave was driving the system just to the point of failure, then the velocity of a peak formation would be even faster than the glass' ability to shift the stress in the first instance, and when glass fails, it's incredibly fast.
pkc111
pkc111 Says: 10:09 PM Y

If a wineglass can be made that shatters when a loud enough pure high C is played (because the resonace frequency of the winegalss is a high C).If a pure high C (just loud enough to shatter the glass) and an F (same volume) were played at the same time, would the wineglass shatter ?

Thanks

Quote | Reply

Physics news on Phys.org
pkc111 said:
pkc111 Says: 10:09 PM Y

If a wineglass can be made that shatters when a loud enough pure high C is played (because the resonace frequency of the winegalss is a high C).If a pure high C (just loud enough to shatter the glass) and an F (same volume) were played at the same time, would the wineglass shatter ?

Thanks

Quote | Reply

I will call it 'yes'. There are going to be additive peaks and troughs that will drive the glass past the failure strength. IMO.

danR said:
I will call it 'yes'. There are going to be additive peaks and troughs that will drive the glass past the failure strength. IMO.

That seems plausible, but I am wrestling with whether any points on the glass would shift to reduce overall stress despite the greater amplitude experiences by some parts of the glass. http://zonalandeducation.com/mstm/physics/waves/standingWaves/standingWaves1/StandingWaves1.html" (if you click on the first and third boxes to display the equivalent of F and then C) makes it look like that won't happen on a d 2D string. I am not confident of my ability to mentally extend this to three dimensions.

It seems like you could craft a neat max-min calculus problem out of this situation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fewmet said:
That seems plausible, but I am wrestling with whether any points on the glass would shift to reduce overall stress despite the greater amplitude experiences by some parts of the glass. http://zonalandeducation.com/mstm/physics/waves/standingWaves/standingWaves1/StandingWaves1.html" (if you click on the first and third boxes to display the equivalent of F and then C) makes it look like that won't happen on a d 2D string. I am not confident of my ability to mentally extend this to three dimensions.

It seems like you could craft a neat max-min calculus problem out of this situation.

My gut reaction is that if the original sine wave was driving the system just to the point of failure, then the velocity of a peak formation would be even faster than the glass' ability to shift the stress in the first instance, and when glass fails, it's incredibly fast.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are talking about solving a d.e. of the form
[tex]\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}+ a^2x= sin(at)+ sin(bt)[/tex]
with the 'sin(ax)' being the "high C" and sin(bx) the "F"

The general solution would be
[tex]x(t)= Ccos(at)+ Bsin(at)- \frac{1}{2a}t cos(at)+ \frac{1}{b^2+ a^2}sin(at)[/tex]

The multiplied "t" in the third terms is the "resonance" that causes the crystal to break. It is the "superposition" property- the solutions from the two separate waves add. Since the solution for the "high C" alone causes x to be unbounded, so will the superposition of the two solutions.

1. Can a wineglass really shatter from just two notes?

Yes, it is possible for a wineglass to shatter from two notes. The frequency of the notes must match the natural frequency of the glass, causing it to vibrate and eventually break.

2. What is the science behind a wineglass shattering from two notes?

When sound waves travel through a material, they can cause the molecules in that material to vibrate. If the frequency of the sound waves matches the natural frequency of the glass, the vibrations can become amplified and cause the glass to break.

3. Is there a specific type of wineglass that is more likely to shatter from two notes?

Generally, thinner and more delicate wine glasses are more likely to shatter from two notes. This is because they have a higher natural frequency and can vibrate more easily when exposed to sound waves.

4. Can any type of sound produce the two notes needed to shatter a wineglass?

No, the two notes needed to shatter a wineglass must have a specific frequency that matches the natural frequency of the glass. This is usually in the range of 1000-2000 Hz.

5. Are there any safety precautions to take when attempting to shatter a wineglass with two notes?

Yes, it is important to wear protective eyewear and gloves when attempting to shatter a wineglass with two notes. Also, make sure to use a low volume and be aware of any sharp pieces of glass that may result from the shattering.