1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Resource on sound

1. Jul 8, 2005 #1
    Hello,

I am a neuroscientist studying auditory responses and I am trying to learn some basics about sound waves. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a book that would help guide me through. specifically I'd like to get a solid understanding of differences among sound waves, different measurement systems of amplitude and frequency, broadband noise etc. Really it is rather hard to say exactly what I need as I am not really sure what I do not know.

I've found some information on the web, but it has mostly been confined to the high-school level and I am looking for something more along the lines of what a college physics/engineering undergrad might read.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Dave

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 8, 2005 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've found this page particularly enlightening : http://www.ee.washington.edu/conselec/CE/kuhn/audio/95x3.htm [Broken]

...but I suspevt you are asking for something that will bolster understanding of the fundamentals as well. I'll add to this if I think of something appropriate.

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2017
  4. Jul 8, 2005 #3

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook