Resource on Sound Waves for Neuroscientists

In summary, a neuroscientist is seeking recommendations for a book to gain a better understanding of sound waves, including differences among them, measurement systems, and broadband noise. They have found some information online, but are looking for a more advanced resource. Suggestions include a webpage and a website. Additionally, a reference for dB weighting scales is provided.
davene
Hello,

I am a neuroscientist studying auditory responses and I am trying to learn some basics about sound waves. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a book that would help guide me through. specifically I'd like to get a solid understanding of differences among sound waves, different measurement systems of amplitude and frequency, broadband noise etc. Really it is rather hard to say exactly what I need as I am not really sure what I do not know.

I've found some information on the web, but it has mostly been confined to the high-school level and I am looking for something more along the lines of what a college physics/engineering undergrad might read.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Dave

Physics news on Phys.org
I've found this page particularly enlightening : http://www.ee.washington.edu/conselec/CE/kuhn/audio/95x3.htm

...but I suspevt you are asking for something that will bolster understanding of the fundamentals as well. I'll add to this if I think of something appropriate.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are sound waves?

Sound waves are a type of mechanical wave that transfer energy through a medium, such as air or water. They are created by vibrations of an object, and these vibrations cause particles in the medium to also vibrate, creating a wave of pressure changes that can be perceived by our ears as sound.

2. How do sound waves affect the brain?

Sound waves can have various effects on the brain, depending on their frequency and intensity. They can stimulate the auditory nerve, which sends signals to the brain for processing sound, and can also activate other parts of the brain, such as the limbic system, which is responsible for emotion and memory.

3. How are sound waves measured?

Sound waves are measured in units of frequency, which is expressed in hertz (Hz). The frequency of a sound wave determines its pitch, with higher frequencies corresponding to higher pitched sounds. Sound waves are also measured in units of intensity, which is expressed in decibels (dB). Intensity refers to the strength or loudness of a sound wave.

4. How can sound waves be used in neuroscience research?

Sound waves can be used in neuroscience research to study how the brain processes and perceives sound. They can also be used in techniques such as functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) to study brain activity in response to different types of sound stimuli. Additionally, sound waves can be used in experiments to investigate the effects of sound on brain function and behavior.

5. What are some potential applications of sound waves in neuroscience?

Sound waves have a wide range of potential applications in neuroscience, including studying the neural basis of hearing and auditory perception, understanding the effects of sound on brain development and plasticity, and investigating the use of sound as a therapeutic tool for neurological disorders. Sound waves may also have applications in the development of brain-computer interfaces and in enhancing cognitive function and performance.