Where to Find Ancient Papers by Einstein and De Sitter?

In summary, the person is searching for older papers by Einstein and De Sitter from 1916, but is having trouble finding them through Google, journal archives, and local libraries. They ask if anyone knows of other reliable sources and provide some references they have found so far. Another user suggests checking the Einstein.info website, which has most of Einstein's work up to 1921, but warns that most of the work is in German. Then, another user provides links to scans and translations of the specific papers the person is looking for. The person expresses gratitude for the help and mentions that their school's library may have the collected works of these scientists.
NanakiXIII
Hey all,

I was looking for some older papers by Einstein and De Sitter from around 1916 and my search is coming up blank. Google (Scholar) is not returning anything useful, the journal archives don't go nearly so far back, the particular volumes are not on archive.org, and even my local libraries don't seem to have them. Does anyone know of any other reliable sources for these old papers?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you give the reference you're using to find it?

When you say journal archives, do you mean databases like inspec?

After a lot of bouncing around on Google, I found some of the papers in random locations, but am still looking for some of Einstein's:

Einstein A, (1916) Approximate integration of the field equations of gravitation. Sitzungsberichte der Königlich Preußischen Akademie der Wissenschaften (Berlin) 688–696.

and also his 1915 GR paper (on the perihelion of Mercury.)

By journal archives I meant going to the journal's website, if they have one, and consulting their archive of old issues.

Thanks, SteamKing. They don't appear to have digital versions of these papers, though.

NanakiXIII said:
After a lot of bouncing around on Google, I found some of the papers in random locations, but am still looking for some of Einstein's:

Einstein A, (1916) Approximate integration of the field equations of gravitation. Sitzungsberichte der Königlich Preußischen Akademie der Wissenschaften (Berlin) 688–696.

and also his 1915 GR paper (on the perihelion of Mercury.)

By journal archives I meant going to the journal's website, if they have one, and consulting their archive of old issues.

Scans of the Einstein Annalen der Physik papers are at http://einstein-annalen.mpiwg-berlin.mpg.de/related_texts/sitzungsberichte. Wiley has the 1916 Foundation paper as pdf at http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/andp.19163540702/pdf.

A translation and scan of the original German version of the Mercury paper is at http://www.gsjournal.net/old/eeuro/vankov.pdf. I haven't read the comments added by that author and I'm not familiar with the journal, so I can't comment on their quality.

Thanks, fzero! Just what I needed! I actually came across the Vankov paper, but hadn't noticed that the original was attached... :redface:

My school's science and engineering library has the complete collected works of many scientists. I suggest you search there for these things if you go to university.

1. What types of resources are available for ancient papers?

There are various resources available for ancient papers, including primary sources such as original manuscripts, inscriptions, and artifacts, as well as secondary sources such as scholarly articles and books written by historians and archaeologists.

2. How can I access these resources?

Many resources for ancient papers can be accessed through libraries and archives, both physically and online. Some primary sources may also be available for viewing at museums or historical sites. Additionally, many scholarly articles and books can be found through academic databases or purchased from publishers.

3. Are there any online databases specifically for ancient papers?

Yes, there are several online databases dedicated to ancient papers, such as JSTOR, Project MUSE, and the Internet Ancient History Sourcebook. These databases contain a vast collection of primary and secondary sources, making it easier for researchers to access and analyze information for their papers.

4. How can I determine if a source is reliable for my ancient paper?

When evaluating the reliability of a source for an ancient paper, it is important to consider the author's credentials, the publication date, and whether the information has been peer-reviewed or cited by other scholars. It is also helpful to cross-reference information with other reputable sources.

5. Are there any specific citation styles for ancient papers?

Yes, there are specific citation styles for ancient papers, such as the Chicago Manual of Style and the MLA Handbook. These citation styles include guidelines for citing primary sources, such as ancient texts and inscriptions, as well as secondary sources, such as books and articles.