Resources for autodidacts

• Thread starter robynmc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resources
In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of online learning resources. The speaker mentions that Coursera has switched to a subscription model and they have lost track of what is available. They also recommend using YouTube to find full lecture videos on organic chemistry from UC Irwin. The speaker further discusses their interest in the energy transition and how they are trying to fill the gap in their knowledge with organic chemistry. They also appreciate the lack of younger individuals on the forum and compliment the changes made to the platform.
robynmc
Coursera has gone subscription and I've lost track of what's available.

Mitopencourseware and khan academy type stuff

Physics news on Phys.org
As you have mentioned in the other thread about your interest in chemistry, you can get full lecture videos on youtube by searching "UC Irwin Organic Chemistry".

• Informative
Likes berkeman
Recommendations are far superior to searching information swamps in my experience, so thanks, very sincerely.I suppose my interest is in the energy transition, organic chem is just a big gap I'm trying to fill. I realize it's a physics forum, never used to matter, didn't seem anyway. Pleasant without so many young 'uns anyway, like what you've done with the place on balance.

Likes Hall and berkeman

What is the definition of an autodidact?

An autodidact is a self-taught individual who acquires knowledge and skills through independent study, rather than formal education or instruction.

What are some resources for autodidacts?

There are many resources available for autodidacts, including online courses, textbooks, educational videos, podcasts, and online communities. Some popular platforms for self-directed learning include Khan Academy, Coursera, Udemy, and Skillshare.

How can I stay motivated as an autodidact?

Staying motivated as an autodidact can be challenging, but there are a few strategies that can help. Setting specific goals, creating a study schedule, and finding a study buddy or accountability partner can all help to maintain motivation. Additionally, taking breaks and rewarding yourself for progress can also be effective.

Are there any disadvantages to being an autodidact?

While there are many advantages to being an autodidact, there are also some potential disadvantages. Without formal instruction, it can be difficult to ensure that all necessary topics and skills are covered. Additionally, self-directed learning may not be as recognized or valued by employers as traditional education.

How can I make the most out of self-directed learning?

To make the most out of self-directed learning, it is important to have a clear understanding of your learning style and preferences. This will help you choose the most effective resources and study methods for yourself. Additionally, setting achievable goals and regularly evaluating your progress can help to ensure that you are making the most of your self-directed learning journey.