Learning Statics: Resources to Expand Your Understanding

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's interest in learning more about the field of statics, specifically concepts related to stability under tensile and compressive stress. They express frustration with trying to educate themselves through disjointed resources and ask for recommendations on where to start. A suggested resource is the book Engineering Mechanics: Statics by Russell C. Hibbeler, which also covers the related topics of stress and strain in more detail.
Daniel Sellers
I am attempting to learn more about the field of statics, engineering concepts related to stability under tensile and compressive stress, and related topics. I realize this a broad area of physics but educating myself piece by piece on wikipedia is tedious and disjointed, and Khan academy doesn't have any lessons on these subjects.

I've read quite a bit about stress v.s. strain and elastic v.s. plastic deformation but I'm looking for resources on the finer points such as what makes one shape more stable than another or the various types of stress which might act on a building or an aircraft, that sort of thing.

Could anyone recommend a good place to start; web pages or books?

Physics news on Phys.org
Likes Daniel Sellers

1. What is statics?

Statics is a branch of mechanics that studies the behavior and equilibrium of objects at rest or in a state of constant motion.

2. Why is it important to learn statics?

Learning statics is important for understanding the fundamental principles of engineering and physics. It provides a foundation for analyzing and designing structures and machines, and is essential for many engineering disciplines such as civil, mechanical, and aerospace engineering.

3. What are some resources for learning statics?

There are many resources available for learning statics, including textbooks, online courses, video lectures, and practice problems. Some popular textbooks include "Engineering Mechanics: Statics" by Hibbeler and "Vector Mechanics for Engineers: Statics" by Beer and Johnston.

4. How can I improve my understanding of statics?

Practice is key to improving your understanding of statics. Make sure to work through plenty of practice problems and seek help from your instructor or classmates if you are struggling with a particular concept. Additionally, visual aids such as diagrams and animations can be helpful in understanding complex statics problems.

5. What are some common challenges when learning statics?

Some common challenges when learning statics include understanding the concept of forces and moments, applying static equilibrium equations, and visualizing and analyzing complex 3D structures. It is important to take your time and practice regularly in order to overcome these challenges and develop a strong understanding of statics.