Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Resources On Stellar History

1. Aug 27, 2014 #1
    Just been looking around for any good resources or databases which show history of stars in the universe. I have mostly been looking into the size and chemical content of them (like those of population I, II, III). But just looking for some real data and numbers to go with it, like star sizes etc.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Oh you mean "stellar" history ... Stella is like... never mind.
    Still not that clear though - we have not been observing stars for very long on the scale that stars have history so we don't actually know any stellar history to speak of. Perhaps you want stellar evolution like how stars grow and die?

Have you seen the Hertzsprung-Russel diagram?

What sort of "real data" are you after? You can find examples of each pop type in star catalogs.
    The SAO one is online.

4. Aug 27, 2014 #3
    Sorry if i was a bit unclear on the wording i used. The Hertzsprung-Russell Diagram seemed very interesting and something i'm looking furthering into now. Thankyou very much!

5. Aug 27, 2014 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

So you did want to know about stellar evolution?

6. Aug 28, 2014 #5
    In a way yes. but was mostly looking at all the statistics of the stars from 10 billion years ago compared to stars 5 billion years ago. But The Hertzsprung-Russell Diagram helped to separate them in groups and i just searched them individually :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook