Find Resources on Principals of Dichroism & Polarizational Filters

• Thread starter Goodver
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resources
In summary, you should search for scientific literature that is most cited in order to find information on principals of dichroism and polarizational filters. You should also train your search engine to be more specific.
Goodver
I often confront a problem that when I need to get some more information about some topic, it is very hard to find such information.

For example, I would like to get some more knowledge about principals of dichroism and polarizational filters. I searched for a while but still can not manage to find something useful. I know what they do in general, but physical processes behind are usually omited everywhere.

How do you search for relevant information in such cases? Are there any resources you can recommend?

Such as:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu
http://www.opensourcephysics.org/

But, mentioned web resources mostly work as a "handbook" which does not really explain how stuff works, but only explains the meanings.

Wikipedia and google are out of the list

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
In terms of scientific literature:

You took google off the list, but Google Scholar is a great one for an initial literature search. It orders literature by most cited. You should double-check that journals you find exist on the ISI master list, of course. You could also search the Physics Review A. I see a lot of articles on circular dichroism in molecular biology journals.

Likes 1 person
Practice ! You'll learn what terms produce scholarly results. Search engines track your activity and offer up content according to what paths you traditionally follow.

So train your search engine.
Stay away from girlie sites.
Pick technical terms from the articles you get and search on those.
Read the references in wiki articles.
You'll notice your search engine adapts, trying to please you.

I've got my google trained to where it's almost as good as the old AltaVista.

old jim

Likes 1 person
Goodver said:
I often confront a problem that when I need to get some more information about some topic, it is very hard to find such information.

For example, I would like to get some more knowledge about principals of dichroism and polarizational filters. I searched for a while but still can not manage to find something useful. I know what they do in general, but physical processes behind are usually omited everywhere.

How do you search for relevant information in such cases? Are there any resources you can recommend?

Such as:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu
http://www.opensourcephysics.org/

But, mentioned web resources mostly work as a "handbook" which does not really explain how stuff works, but only explains the meanings.

Wikipedia and google are out of the list

Thanks
Before the internet, one would use a library search.

Most fundamental scientific information would be found in a relevant textbook.

Google is a search engine, much like a library search facility. Wikipedia is a start, although not fully verified.

Using Google with "principles of dichroism" leads one to:

http://www.chem.uci.edu/~dmitryf/manuals/CD%20spectroscopy.pdf
Department of Chemistry, University of California, Irvine

http://www.cryst.bbk.ac.uk/PPS2/course/section8/ss-960531_21.html
Institute of Structural and Molecular Biology, Birkbeck, University of London
notes written by Kurt D. Berndt, Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden

http://www.niu.edu/analyticallab/cd/handout.pdf
Northern Illinois UniversityBe careful to spell terms correctly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 1 person
for your question. I understand the frustration of trying to find information on a specific topic and not being able to find what you need. In cases like this, it can be helpful to try different search strategies and utilize different resources.

First, I recommend using scientific databases such as PubMed or Google Scholar to search for articles and journals that specifically focus on the principals of dichroism and polarizational filters. These databases allow you to filter your search results by specific keywords and also provide access to full-text articles that may not be available through a general search engine.

Another helpful strategy is to reach out to experts in the field. You can search for researchers who have published articles on these topics and contact them directly to ask for recommendations or additional resources. Additionally, attending scientific conferences or workshops related to these topics can provide valuable insights and resources.

In terms of specific resources, some textbooks on optics or spectroscopy may have sections on dichroism and polarizational filters that explain the underlying physical processes. You can also try searching for online lectures or tutorials from universities or scientific organizations.

Lastly, I would recommend checking out the websites of professional organizations related to optics or spectroscopy. They often have resources and information on various topics within their field of study.

I hope these suggestions help in your search for information on the principals of dichroism and polarizational filters. Remember to be persistent and try different strategies to find the information you need. Good luck!

1. What is dichroism?

Dichroism is the property of certain materials to have different absorption coefficients for light polarized in different directions.

2. How do polarizational filters work?

Polarizational filters work by selectively blocking light waves that are polarized in a certain direction, allowing only light waves with a specific polarization to pass through.

3. What are some common applications of dichroism and polarizational filters?

Dichroism and polarizational filters are commonly used in various fields such as microscopy, spectroscopy, and telecommunications. They are also used in everyday items such as sunglasses and LCD screens.

4. Can dichroism and polarizational filters be used together?

Yes, dichroism and polarizational filters can be used together to achieve more precise control over the polarization of light.

5. How can I find resources on principles of dichroism and polarizational filters?

There are various resources available online, including scientific articles, textbooks, and websites of research institutions. You can also consult with experts in the field or attend conferences and seminars related to dichroism and polarizational filters.