Respect or Love: Which Matters More in Relationships?

• Thread starter FallenApple
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Love
In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between love and respect and whether one is necessary for the other. The initial statement suggests that love and respect are interconnected and that if one is present, the other will follow. However, this is refuted by multiple counterexamples provided by other participants, including the idea that one can love someone without respecting them. The conversation also delves into the definitions of love and respect and how they can vary from person to person. In conclusion, the conversation highlights the complexities and subjectivity of human emotions and the difficulty of making broad statements about their relationships.
FallenApple
If you had to choose between one, which one would you choose and why?

Also, this question is not necessarily for romantic relationships, but also regarding friends and colleagues etc. So for example, being well liked vs being well respected.

Last edited:
Likes ISamson
Physics news on Phys.org
Love makes us respect and respect, love. It's like if A=B then B=A.
The truth of one is the necessary and sufficient condition. :smile:

Likes russ_watters
e-pie said:

I disagree this is definitely a non-commutative relationship.

Why not? :oldlove:

If you love your friend/colleague you would repect his/her decisions and the converse is also true.

Respect can be very superficial - you may be respected by people who you don't even know.

e-pie said:

If you love your friend/colleague you would repect his/her decisions and the converse is also true.
Horse manure. I love all of my relatives but I have no respect at all for many of their personal beliefs.

Likes Lisa!, Ryan_m_b and Bystander
phinds said:
personal beliefs

Personal belief is "personal". It varies from person to person.

Chemistry teaches us that there can be exceptions to a law. So why not for my statement.

e-pie said:
Personal belief is "personal". It varies from person to person.

Chemistry teaches us that there can be exceptions to a law. So why not for my statement.
You made a categorical statement and I proved it to be not true. You didn't say "usually" or any other qualifying adjective. If you are going to make bald statements of "fact" here on PF you need to be prepared to defend them or abandon them. I suggest you abandon this one.

Last edited:
Likes Ryan_m_b
Why are you arguing with simplest things?
I am not saying that you shouldn't defend yourself but it is only a light hearted discussion.

I made clear my point with this.

e-pie said:
How can this topic be a fact? Human attributes are abstract, varying according to taste/situations.

Last edited:
phinds said:
fact

He asked for opinions.

e-pie said:

I think we have to get definitions agreed, when we start doing that we will realize that we all mean different things when we talk about love like & respect

Love is a biological thing, out of ones hands sometimes you wish it was someone else you had feelings for because this person is not very nice.
They act in a way that does not earn any sort of respect from you.
As has been mentioned you respect what a person does rather than who they are.
I respect Paul Dirac, I have never met nor will ever meet him.
I am pretty sure Paul Dirac would have made me feel insecure, embarrassed and probably pretty stupid as a student.
I respect his contribution to science.
Isaac Newton? Steven Hawking described him as “not a nice man” He never met him either but has read enough to come to the conclusion that genius aside, he was rather unpleasant.
So it possible to love someone without even liking them let alone respecting them and greatly admire dead people who were probably outwardly obnoxious.

pinball1970 said:
So it possible to love someone without even liking them let alone respecting them and greatly admire dead people who were probably outwardly obnoxious.

:dademyday:

e-pie said:
Love makes us respect and respect, love.

e-pie said:
Because, as @phinds noted, you made your statement without noting any possible exceptions. This is a scientific forum. If you say something like "All X are Y" and someone shows you an X that isn't Y, then that counterexample has disproved your broad statement.

Likes phinds
How can abstract qualities like love or respect be scientific? Science deals with facts proved either by experiment/observation or by mathematical laws. Love is due to human emotions which are beyond the scope of Science.

I used an analogy only to explain my point.

Furthermore, I kind of amended my statement with this

e-pie said:
Chemistry teaches us that there can be exceptions to a law. So why not for my statement

If this pleases you let me make further corrections

I believe that...
e-pie said:

e-pie said:
The truth of one is the necessary and sufficient condition.
AGAIN, horse manure. How does this not get contradicted by my original statement?
I love all of my relatives but I have no respect at all for many of their personal beliefs.
You really need to stop making categorical statements of "fact" that are not facts at all. You don't seem to even understand the difference.

I added "I believe..." that means it is according to me.

I am expressing my own beliefs on the topic.

e-pie said:
I added "I belive..." that means it is according to me.

I am expressing my own beliefs on the topic.
My bad. I missed that because I so vehemently disagree w/ what you believe and I have already shown by counter example that it is not true regardless of what you believe.

Finally, we agree to something.

Thanks.:smile: :bow:

Greg Bernhardt said:
Can you not respect someone you love?
How about being in love with a hooker?

Likes pinball1970
Demystifier said:
How about being in love with a hooker?
Maybe, or I just thought of a parent with a son that is a terrible person.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Maybe, or I just thought of a parent with a son that is a terrible person.
A different example, perhaps more in the spirit of what OP head in mind. An entertaining person may be loved by many, but not so much respected.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Demystifier said:
A different example, perhaps more in the spirit of what OP head in mind. An entertaining person may be loved by many, but not so much respected.
In that sense, I would rather be respected than loved.

To me love implies a desire to associate with or be associated with. Respect implies a deference to or appreciation of personal qualities or traits.

1. What is the difference between respect and love in a relationship?

In a relationship, respect refers to treating your partner as an equal, valuing their opinions and boundaries, and refraining from any form of abuse or manipulation. Love, on the other hand, is an intense feeling of affection and care towards your partner. While respect is essential for a healthy relationship, love is what keeps the relationship strong and enduring.

2. Can a relationship survive without respect or love?

No, a relationship cannot survive without either respect or love. Without respect, there is no foundation for trust, communication, and mutual understanding. Without love, there is no emotional connection and support. Both respect and love are necessary for a successful and fulfilling relationship.

3. Which should be prioritized, respect or love?

Both respect and love should be given equal importance in a relationship. While respect creates a healthy and secure environment, love brings excitement and joy. Prioritizing one over the other can lead to an imbalance in the relationship. It is essential to have a balance of both for a strong and lasting relationship.

4. What happens when there is a lack of respect or love in a relationship?

When there is a lack of respect in a relationship, it can lead to conflicts, resentment, and even abuse. Without love, the relationship can feel empty, unfulfilling, and may eventually fall apart. It is crucial to address any issues related to respect or love in a relationship to maintain a healthy and happy bond.

5. How can respect and love be nurtured in a relationship?

Respect and love can be nurtured in a relationship by communicating openly and honestly, actively listening to your partner, showing appreciation and gratitude, and setting and respecting boundaries. It is also important to continuously work on building trust, understanding, and mutual support in the relationship.