Response of System to sin(3t) and tri(t-1) Inputs

In summary: X(s), you can use the transfer function H(s) to find the corresponding output S(s) by taking the inverse Laplace transform. In summary, the question is asking for the response of a linear time-invariant system with a given step response to two different inputs. The transfer function can be used to find the output for each input by taking the inverse Laplace transform. This method involves taking the Laplace transform of the input and output functions and finding their ratio, which is represented by H(s).
mathrocks
The question is as follows:

The step response of a linear time-invariant system is given as
s(t)=t*e^(-2t) u(t)
Determine the response of the system to the following inputs:
a. x(t)=sin(3t) u(t)
b. x(t)=tri(t-1)

As of now I see this problem and I have no idea what it means...I tried looking in my textbook but the book is poorly written so that confuses me more and oh yeah, my teacher is horrible. But I'm trying to put in an effort to learn on my own, hopefully it's possible...

Any help with this is truly appreciated.
Also, if there are any websites that you guys know of that can help me with Signals and Systems that would be great!

Physics news on Phys.org
You know that the output is [itex]s(t)=te^{-2t}U(t)[/itex] when the input is [itex]x(t)=U(t)[/itex]. From those you can find the transfer function [itex]H(s)=S(s)/X(s)[/itex]. Then you can use the transfer function to get the other outputs, because [itex]S(s)=H(s)X(s)[/itex] holds generally.

Tom Mattson said:
You know that the output is [itex]s(t)=te^{-2t}U(t)[/itex] when the input is [itex]x(t)=U(t)[/itex]. From those you can find the transfer function [itex]H(s)=S(s)/X(s)[/itex]. Then you can use the transfer function to get the other outputs, because [itex]S(s)=H(s)X(s)[/itex] holds generally.

Is there another way to do this problem? I don't think we've done transfer functions yet. All we've done so far is basic signals stuff like graphing impulses, find signal energy and power, proving linearity, time-invariance, etc and convolution and basic laplace.

Perhaps you have seen the transfer function, but just haven't been told so.

Basically, S(s) is the Laplace transform of the output and X(s) is the Laplace transform of the input. H(s) is just their ratio. If you followed the procedure that I laid out you would be doing nothing more than taking Laplace transforms and inverse Laplace transforms.

Tom Mattson said:
Perhaps you have seen the transfer function, but just haven't been told so.

Basically, S(s) is the Laplace transform of the output and X(s) is the Laplace transform of the input. H(s) is just their ratio. If you followed the procedure that I laid out you would be doing nothing more than taking Laplace transforms and inverse Laplace transforms.

Ok, so X(s) is the Laplace transform of the function x(t) and S(s) is the Laplace transform of s(t)=t*e^(-2t) u(t)? So is H(s) the response of the input? I don't see when you would do inverse Laplace...

Sorry, but this stuff is 100% new to me, we definitely didn't talk about this yet. But it doesn't seem to hard to understand, I just need some guidance...

mathrocks said:
Ok, so X(s) is the Laplace transform of the function x(t) and S(s) is the Laplace transform of s(t)=t*e^(-2t) u(t)?

Yes.

So is H(s) the response of the input?

No, H(s) is the ratio of S(s) and X(s).

I don't see when you would do inverse Laplace...

You would do it when you try to determine the responses to the other inputs.

S(s)=H(s)X(s)

1. What is the meaning of "Response of System to sin(3t) and tri(t-1) Inputs"?

The "Response of System to sin(3t) and tri(t-1) Inputs" refers to the behavior of a system when it is subjected to two specific input signals - a sine wave with a frequency of 3 radians per second and a triangular wave with a delay of 1 second.

2. How do we measure the response of a system to these inputs?

The response of a system to these inputs can be measured by observing the output of the system over a period of time. This can be done by plotting a graph of the output against the input signals.

3. What factors can affect the response of a system to these inputs?

The response of a system to these inputs can be affected by various factors such as the type of system, the initial conditions of the system, and the frequency and amplitude of the input signals.

4. What are some common applications of studying the response of a system to sin(3t) and tri(t-1) inputs?

Studying the response of a system to these inputs can be useful in various fields such as control systems, signal processing, and communication systems. It can also help in understanding the behavior of physical systems and predicting their response to different input signals.

5. Is there any mathematical model that can be used to analyze the response of a system to these inputs?

Yes, the response of a system to sin(3t) and tri(t-1) inputs can be analyzed using mathematical models such as differential equations, transfer functions, and Laplace transforms. These models can provide insights into the dynamics of the system and help in predicting its behavior.