1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Response Signal Analysis

1. Oct 8, 2012 #1
    Hi everyone! This is my first post here at PF after years of on & off lurking!

So, I'll get straight to it. At work (yes work, not HW) I have a forcing function signal that acts on a spring-mass system. When the spring-mass system "tracks" the forcing function, the curves overlap. However, as frequency is increased to a point, the amplitude of the response signal increases, and then loses "tracking". When it loses tracking, we see a signal that is the same frequency as the forcing function, but two things are evident: it is a composite of some combination of signals and there appears to be a beat phenomena.

So anyway, I just purchased a book on vibration because I had sold mine in college for food. Before it gets here, maybe I could get some suggestions as to what I should look for? I am specifically looking to place a function to the response signal. I'll draw up a quick picture in non-other than MS Paint.

*The black is the forcing function (simple sine wave) and the blue is the response. Top is tracking, bottom is loss of tracking*

Thank you for your help!:biggrin:

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted