Responding to "Following": What Do I Do?

• Thread starter Danger
  • Start date
In summary, you should receive an alert that someone is "following" you if they've recently posted and you should follow them to see their new posts. If you do not want to be followed, you can "ignore" the person.
Danger
Gold Member
What am I suppose to do when I receive an alert that someone is "following" me? Do I have to adopt him? I can't afford food for more than one pet, and Lucy eats like 10 cats as it is. I feel like I'm being stalked. What on Earth is "following"?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, now I'm following you too Danger...live with it. I'll be keeping my eye on you o_O

Btw, I'm a finicky eater and like the gourmet stuff, so no Purina cat chow please.

Danger said:
What am I suppose to do when I receive an alert that someone is "following" me? Do I have to adopt him? I can't afford food for more than one pet, and Lucy eats like 10 cats as it is. I feel like I'm being stalked. What on Earth is "following"?

Good question. I started following someone, because I kept missing their new posts.
It thought I might get a notification or something.
But nothing.
I have no idea what "following" someone actually does, besides tell the followee that you pushed a "follow" button.

One guess is, that they consider you a leader.
Though, I didn't follow that one person because I thought he was a leader.
He just posted very funny jokes.
Now, if I could just remember his name...

I assume you can view the activity of the people you follow in the "news feed" section of your profile.

DiracPool said:
no Purina cat chow please.

So it's Fancy Feast for you, eh?

So, how many followers one needs to have before "start a cult" button activates?

jtbell said:
So it's Fancy Feast for you, eh?

Yeah, that sounds about right, with perhaps some Bumblebee solid white tuna on the side, the kind the humans eat. None of that chunk light garbage.

Bandersnatch said:
So, how many followers one needs to have before "start a cult" button activates?

Probably a few more than 2, which is what I think Danger is at now. However, if you join the group, Bandersnatch, we'll be just that much closer. The water's warm in here, c'mon in...:)

Danger said:
We still have no clear answer, Danger, maybe you should use the nail bitter:nb), we be on the edge of our seats, :D

You don't need to do anything. When you follow someone, their content is listed in your news feed and in the members online box they are highlighted.

What about "ignoring", then? What is "ignoring"? Can I ignore someone who's following me, like getting a restraining order against a stalker?

Hmmm... that's hardly useful... :(

Danger said:
At least you know Greg doesn't have you on his "ignore list". :D

Danger said:
I'm likely an expert on being ignored, but then how would I knowo_O:eek:

Likes Danger
Greg Bernhardt said:
You don't need to do anything. When you follow someone, their content is listed in your news feed and in the members online box they are highlighted.
A member can set it so that unless they follow you, you won't receive their news feed, so you do not have to put them in "ignore". It's in the privacy section of "My PF".

In the beginning there was an option to just shut it off completely, which I did, then that changed.

I want to let you know that I just "unfollowed" you Danger. Please don't take it personally. I still like you and think you're a fascinating person, but it just wasn't working for me. I gave it an honest shot. We can still be friends, though..:)

DiracPool said:
We can still be friends, though..:)
Say that again when you have box of chocolates...

Danger said:
Say that again when you have box of chocolates...
Sounding too much like a soap,...:k:k...:L:L...:k:k...:L:L...:nb)...:eek:...:D

:DD

What is the proper way to respond to someone following me?

The best way to respond to someone following you is to calmly and politely ask them to stop or to give you some space. If they continue to follow you, it is important to remove yourself from the situation and seek help from a trusted authority or authority figure.

What should I do if someone is following me and I feel unsafe?

If you feel that you are in danger, it is important to trust your instincts and take immediate action to protect yourself. This could include calling for help, finding a safe place to go, or alerting others around you about the situation.

Should I confront the person who is following me?

Confronting the person following you may not always be the best course of action. It is important to prioritize your safety and well-being in any situation. If you do choose to confront them, try to do so in a public place and with the support of others.

What evidence should I gather if I need to report the person following me?

If you feel that you need to report the person following you, it is important to gather as much evidence as possible. This can include taking photos or videos, writing down their physical appearance and any identifying features, and documenting the date, time, and location of the incident.

Who should I reach out to for help if I am being followed?

If you are being followed and feel unsafe, it is important to reach out for help. This could include contacting the police, a trusted friend or family member, or a helpline for support and guidance. It is always better to seek help and support rather than trying to handle the situation alone.