Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Response to Following?

1. Nov 11, 2014 #1

Danger

Gold Member

What am I suppose to do when I receive an alert that someone is "following" me? Do I have to adopt him? I can't afford food for more than one pet, and Lucy eats like 10 cats as it is. I feel like I'm being stalked. What on Earth is "following"?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2014 #2
    Well, now I'm following you too Danger...live with it. I'll be keeping my eye on you o_O

Btw, I'm a finicky eater and like the gourmet stuff, so no Purina cat chow please.

4. Nov 11, 2014 #3

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Good question. I started following someone, because I kept missing their new posts.
    It thought I might get a notification or something.
    But nothing.
    I have no idea what "following" someone actually does, besides tell the followee that you pushed a "follow" button.

One guess is, that they consider you a leader.
    Though, I didn't follow that one person because I thought he was a leader.
    He just posted very funny jokes.
    Now, if I could just remember his name........

5. Nov 11, 2014 #4

Bandersnatch

Science Advisor

I assume you can view the activity of the people you follow in the "news feed" section of your profile.

6. Nov 11, 2014 #5

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

So it's Fancy Feast for you, eh?

7. Nov 11, 2014 #6

Bandersnatch

Science Advisor

So, how many followers one needs to have before "start a cult" button activates?

8. Nov 11, 2014 #7
    Yeah, that sounds about right, with perhaps some Bumblebee solid white tuna on the side, the kind the humans eat. None of that chunk light garbage.

9. Nov 11, 2014 #8
    Probably a few more than 2, which is what I think Danger is at now. However, if you join the group, Bandersnatch, we'll be just that much closer. The water's warm in here, c'mon in...:)

10. Nov 11, 2014 #9

RonL

Gold Member

We still have no clear answer, Danger, maybe you should use the nail bitter:nb), we be on the edge of our seats, :D

11. Nov 11, 2014 #10
    You don't need to do anything. When you follow someone, their content is listed in your news feed and in the members online box they are highlighted.

12. Nov 11, 2014 #11

Danger

Gold Member

What about "ignoring", then? What is "ignoring"? Can I ignore someone who's following me, like getting a restraining order against a stalker?

13. Nov 11, 2014 #12
    If you ignore a member, you won't see their posts anywhere.

14. Nov 11, 2014 #13

Danger

Gold Member

Hmmm.... that's hardly useful... :(

15. Nov 11, 2014 #14

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

At least you know Greg doesn't have you on his "ignore list". :D

16. Nov 11, 2014 #15

RonL

Gold Member

I'm likely an expert on being ignored, but then how would I knowo_O:eek:

17. Nov 11, 2014 #16

Evo

Staff: Mentor

A member can set it so that unless they follow you, you won't receive their news feed, so you do not have to put them in "ignore". It's in the privacy section of "My PF".

In the beginning there was an option to just shut it off completely, which I did, then that changed.

18. Nov 12, 2014 #17
    I want to let you know that I just "unfollowed" you Danger. Please don't take it personally. I still like you and think you're a fascinating person, but it just wasn't working for me. I gave it an honest shot. We can still be friends, though..:)

19. Nov 12, 2014 #18

Danger

Gold Member

Say that again when you have box of chocolates...

20. Nov 12, 2014 #19

RonL

Gold Member

Sounding too much like a soap,....:k:k.....:L:L....:k:k.....:L:L.....:nb).....:eek:....:D

21. Nov 12, 2014 #20

Danger

Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook