Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Responsibility

1. Jul 24, 2004 #1

wolram

Gold Member

OK i think of myself as responsible, at work i can not walk away
    from a problem, when others seem happy to pass it on, i get a job
    done as quickly as i can, while others seem to revel in stringing the
    job out, if im asked to do something i will do my best to comply, while
    others cant give a *************, thing is how do these others get
    along with life? how did they get the job?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 24, 2004 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Wolram, that is one of the greatest unsovled mysteries of all time. Most of those people probably lied about their previous experience, and most companies, fearing a lawsuit will rarely say anything negative about a previous employee, even if their references are checked, which they rarely are.

In big business it has long been a common practice to promote an idiot/loser out of your department and into someone else's department (that is unaware of the person's history), rather than try to build a strong enough case to dismiss the person without fearing a wrongful dismissal lawsuit.

4. Jul 24, 2004 #3

jimmy p

Gold Member

I'm not sure, luck of the draw I guess, or gift of the gab. I work with one of the most lackadaisial (sp?) people I know, but I only tolerate his laziness cos he has been my friend for 15 years or so. It does make you wonder how these people with the wrong attitudes to jobs wind up working for quite a bit of dough.

5. Jul 25, 2004 #4

wolram

Gold Member

I think i will have the last laugh, our manager came to us to ask if we had
    a solution to a problem, which was to squeeze the residue from custard bags,
    easy no, they weigh a ton full, anyway he has made spacers to support a
    50mm dia bar via pillow block bearings, from a "foam composite wall", the idea
    is to clamp the top of the bag to the bar and wind it around the bar, thus all
    the residue, could be 100LBS is forced to the opening, how is he winding the
    bar, with an ordinary 1/2 socket welded to one end of the bar, so that a 1/2
    ratchet handle is his winding lever??????? do you think our manager will be
    impressed?

6. Jul 25, 2004 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It sounds about as sophisticated as those plastic thingies they used to sell for squeezing the last bit of toothpaste out of a toothpaste tube. Their use in my house lasted the duration of one tube of toothpaste before we realized how truly useless they really were.

That sounds like a job for an oversized version of an old-fashioned clothes wringer (two rollers you squeeze the clothes through to get the excess water out before hanging them to dry). I would suspect a few added gears and a strong handle would be helpful to make the squeezing a bit easier for the added weight.

1000 lb custard bags, though? With 100 lbs residue? 10% wastage...eek! That's a lot of good custard going to waste, what with all the starving students here, I'm sure they'd all volunteer to help spoon the excess out of the bags :biggrin:

7. Jul 25, 2004 #6
    Lying, cheating, arrogant, wicked people will aways come out on top at the expence of making others fall to the bottom. Honest, fair, intelligent, good people will always finish last. One of the reasons communism doesn't work. :wink:

8. Jul 25, 2004 #7
    No, I think you underestimate the power of intelligence. For the most part, honest, fair, intelligent, good people will find a niche in society (e.g. teachers, doctors, scientists) and become very successful there. The real losers are honest, fair, dumb, good people like me. But you can never misunderestimate :smile: the power of stupidity and evil. Most positions of power and responsibility will be filled by these psychopaths who ruin our world.

9. Jul 25, 2004 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What makes you think only honest people are intelligent? The dangerous ones are the intelligent but dishonest people. They know how to manipulate people, cover their tracks, and get away with quite a lot. They're also the ones who create rules that make it almost impossible to fire the cheats, even the dumb ones. I think they get caught eventually, but they leave a path of destruction in their wake.

10. Jul 25, 2004 #9
    Yes, you're right.

11. Jul 26, 2004 #10

wolram

Gold Member

Im only glad that some of the folks ive known are not in civil engineering
    Talk about bodge it and scarper, they would have to live in outer Mongolia.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?