Rest energy and Kinetic Energy of a Photon - velocity?

In summary: It must be because my mind is so fixated on the fact that photons are massless particles that I can't wrap my head around how it can have energy and still have a velocity less than c.In summary, the conversation is about a student who received a 94 on their physics 2 final and had trouble with a question about the velocity of a photon. They were able to guess the correct answer, but did not understand why it was correct. They also had trouble with the concept of a photon's velocity being less than c due to their understanding of photons as massless particles.
max8404

Homework Statement

Thanks for everyone that helped me with the physics questions! I had my physics 2 final today and got a 94! There was a question that I could not figure out for a long time. It goes like this.

What would the velocity of the photon be if the Kinetic energy of the photon equals the rest energy of the photon? Express v in terms of c and anything else. Luckily, the question was a multiple choice, and the correct answer (which I guessed) was sqrt(3)/2 x c

I still cannot figure out why this is true.

Homework Equations

K=1/2mv^2 --> I assume this is the right equation to use...
Er=mc^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Equaling the two would give you:

1/2mv^2=mc^2

v^2=2c^2
v=sqrt(2) x c

This is obviously not true since you can't go faster than the speed of light. Can someone explain to me how the answer is sqrt(3)/2 x c and why I am getting this thing wrong? Am I using the right Kinetic Energy equation??

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
congratulations!

Hi max8404! Many congratulations! :biggrin:
max8404 said:
What would the velocity of the photon be if the Kinetic energy of the photon equals the rest energy of the photon? Express v in terms of c and anything else. Luckily, the question was a multiple choice, and the correct answer (which I guessed) was sqrt(3)/2 x c

Homework Equations

K=1/2mv^2 --> I assume this is the right equation to use...
… why I am getting this thing wrong? Am I using the right Kinetic Energy equation??

oooh, I wish examiners wouldn't use "kinetic energy" in relativity :cry:

they just mean total energy minus rest energy :rolleyes:

so 2m = m/√(1 - v2/c2), so 1 - v2/c2 = 1/4 :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Hi max8404! Many congratulations! :biggrin:

oooh, I wish examiners wouldn't use "kinetic energy" in relativity :cry:

they just mean total energy minus rest energy :rolleyes:

so 2m = m/√(1 - v2/c2), so 1 - v2/c2 = 1/4 :wink:

Hey Tiny Tim, thanks for your response, but I doon't quite get it. I understand the equation,
E=KE+mc^2, but in this case, what would E be? Or am I once again looking at it the wrong way?

Thanks!

E is the total energy (or relativistic energy), mc2/√(1 - v2/c2) :smile:

tiny-tim said:
E is the total energy (or relativistic energy), mc2/√(1 - v2/c2) :smile:

duh. thanks a lot! I got it now! :)

I have a big problem with a photon's velocity being less than c.

1. What is rest energy and kinetic energy of a photon?

Rest energy is the energy that a photon possesses due to its mass, which is equivalent to its rest mass energy (E=mc^2). Kinetic energy is the energy that a photon possesses due to its motion, which is dependent on its velocity.

2. How is rest energy of a photon calculated?

The rest energy of a photon can be calculated using the equation E=hf, where h is Planck's constant and f is the frequency of the photon's electromagnetic wave.

3. Does the rest energy of a photon change with velocity?

No, the rest energy of a photon does not change with velocity. It is a constant value determined by the photon's frequency.

4. How is kinetic energy of a photon calculated?

The kinetic energy of a photon can be calculated using the equation E=pc, where p is the momentum of the photon and c is the speed of light.

5. How does the velocity of a photon affect its kinetic energy?

The velocity of a photon is directly proportional to its kinetic energy. As the photon's velocity increases, its kinetic energy also increases.