What is the relationship between electron movement and rest mass?

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of quantum mechanics and physics, with the individual expressing their interest in the subject and their efforts to teach themselves through books. They also have some questions about electrons orbiting atoms and the concept of rest mass. The conversation also touches on the role of probability in quantum mechanics and different interpretations of it.
adoado
Hello all,

First off, I am not sure if these questions belong in this category.

For a couple of years now I have been interested in physics/quantum mechanics, and a while ago I decided it was probably my main interest. After realizing my school did not offer physics, and therefore not being able to get taught what I love, I resorted to books. I am trying to teach myself as much as possible about the subject.

After reading basic 'beginner' books (the maths free ones ;)) I had a few questions. They are probably really basic, but I can't seem to turn to anyone to ask.

First off, electrons 'orbit' an atom. I read somewhere there is actually a cloud of probability of finding the electron, so then, is the electron actually orbiting if the location is pure chance?

It appears quantum mechanics is really probability based - is it really pure chance? Or is it a simple matter of finding all the inputs and environmental effects and then you can predict accurately?

Whats is 'rest mass' and what is mass that is not 'rest mass' ^^

I am only curious, that's why I ask all these questions, and I am sure people out there know the answers :)

Cheers,
Adrian

Physics news on Phys.org
i) The word 'orbit' in a residue from older Atomic models such as the Bohr model. So if one uses the same definition for orbit to atoms as one has from classical mechanics, it becomes wrong.

ii) Yes, according to the copenhagen interpretation of QM, it is pure chance. But there are other interpretations as well, Einstein didn't believe in pure chance QM, he thought it was ugly and he said "God does not play dice". But today, and almost the entire history of QM, the copenhagen interpretation is the paradigm of quantum physics.

iii) Rest mass, is a concept in Special Relativity, not quantum qhysics really, but anyway - rest mass is the mass of an object measured in its own restframe.

adoado said:
Hello all,

First off, I am not sure if these questions belong in this category.

For a couple of years now I have been interested in physics/quantum mechanics, and a while ago I decided it was probably my main interest. After realizing my school did not offer physics, and therefore not being able to get taught what I love, I resorted to books. I am trying to teach myself as much as possible about the subject.

After reading basic 'beginner' books (the maths free ones ;)) I had a few questions. They are probably really basic, but I can't seem to turn to anyone to ask.

First off, electrons 'orbit' an atom. I read somewhere there is actually a cloud of probability of finding the electron, so then, is the electron actually orbiting if the location is pure chance?

It appears quantum mechanics is really probability based - is it really pure chance? Or is it a simple matter of finding all the inputs and environmental effects and then you can predict accurately?

Whats is 'rest mass' and what is mass that is not 'rest mass' ^^

I am only curious, that's why I ask all these questions, and I am sure people out there know the answers :)

Cheers,
Adrian

Rest mass is when not moveing. Photon is energy calculated to mass converted.

Quantum chance use probables in calculations ampliteude density squares.

1. What is rest mass and how does it relate to electron movement?

Rest mass is the mass of an object when it is at rest, meaning it is not moving. The rest mass of an electron is a fundamental property of the particle and is a key factor in understanding its movement and behavior. When an electron is in motion, its rest mass remains the same, but its total energy and effective mass increase due to its kinetic energy.

2. How does rest mass differ from relativistic mass?

Rest mass is an intrinsic property of a particle and remains constant regardless of its state of motion. Relativistic mass, on the other hand, is the total energy and momentum of an object, including its rest mass, and varies with its velocity. In other words, relativistic mass is the effective mass of an object due to its motion, while rest mass is its mass at rest.

3. Can an electron have a negative rest mass?

No, the rest mass of an electron is always a positive value. In physics, mass is a measure of an object's resistance to acceleration, and a negative mass would result in an object being accelerated in the opposite direction of an applied force. The concept of negative mass is also not supported by current scientific theories.

4. How does the movement of electrons affect the properties of matter?

Electron movement is crucial to understanding the properties of matter. The arrangement and behavior of electrons in an atom determine its chemical properties, and the movement of electrons in a material determines its electrical conductivity and other physical properties. Changes in electron movement can also result in changes in the macroscopic properties of matter, such as phase transitions.

5. Is it possible for an electron to have zero rest mass?

No, the rest mass of an electron is a fundamental constant and cannot be zero. However, there are particles called neutrinos that have very small masses, but they are not considered true "zero-mass" particles. The concept of a particle with zero rest mass is also not supported by current scientific theories.