Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Rest Mass Energy of Neutron?

1. Mar 9, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What is the rest mass energy of one mole of neutrons? Hint one mole is 6.02 x 1023 particles (avocado's number), and the neutron has mass m=1.675 x 10 -27 kg.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I wasn't sure of the relationship between moles and mass. What I attempted to do was multiply one mole by the mass. Then plugged in the equation of E=mc2. I came up with the answer of 9.075 x 10 16. This just doesn't seem right. Any help would be appreciated.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2009 #2
    I think it's perfectly correct as long as the value you have used for the neutrons mass is indeed its rest mass. Why doesn't it seem right to you?

----

(Me being a lazy boy I didn't check that you actually put the right values in your calculator)

As posted below one mole of neutrons is equal to 6.02 x 10^23 neutrons, which you multiply by the neutrons mass to get the total mass. Then it's a cake piece of.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2009
  4. Mar 9, 2009 #3

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Show us your work. What numbers did you multiply? What results? Units? You appear to be out by a few orders of magnitude.

A mole is just what is stated. It is Avogadro's number of particles. So a mole of neutrons is 6.02 x 10^23 neutrons.

AM

5. Mar 9, 2009 #4
    thanks for everyone's help

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook