Rest Mass Energy of Neutron?

• Thread starter tymartin
  • Start date

Homework Statement

What is the rest mass energy of one mole of neutrons? Hint one mole is 6.02 x 1023 particles (avocado's number), and the neutron has mass m=1.675 x 10 -27 kg.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I wasn't sure of the relationship between moles and mass. What I attempted to do was multiply one mole by the mass. Then plugged in the equation of E=mc2. I came up with the answer of 9.075 x 10 16. This just doesn't seem right. Any help would be appreciated.

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Answers and Replies

I think it's perfectly correct as long as the value you have used for the neutrons mass is indeed its rest mass. Why doesn't it seem right to you?

----

(Me being a lazy boy I didn't check that you actually put the right values in your calculator)

As posted below one mole of neutrons is equal to 6.02 x 10^23 neutrons, which you multiply by the neutrons mass to get the total mass. Then it's a cake piece of.

Last edited:
Andrew Mason
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

What is the rest mass energy of one mole of neutrons? Hint one mole is 6.02 x 1023 particles (avocado's number), and the neutron has mass m=1.675 x 10 -27 kg.
Show us your work. What numbers did you multiply? What results? Units? You appear to be out by a few orders of magnitude.

A mole is just what is stated. It is Avogadro's number of particles. So a mole of neutrons is 6.02 x 10^23 neutrons.

AM

thanks for everyone's help