1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rest Mass Energy of Neutron?

1. Mar 9, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What is the rest mass energy of one mole of neutrons? Hint one mole is 6.02 x 1023 particles (avocado's number), and the neutron has mass m=1.675 x 10 -27 kg.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I wasn't sure of the relationship between moles and mass. What I attempted to do was multiply one mole by the mass. Then plugged in the equation of E=mc2. I came up with the answer of 9.075 x 10 16. This just doesn't seem right. Any help would be appreciated.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2009 #2
    I think it's perfectly correct as long as the value you have used for the neutrons mass is indeed its rest mass. Why doesn't it seem right to you?

----

(Me being a lazy boy I didn't check that you actually put the right values in your calculator)

As posted below one mole of neutrons is equal to 6.02 x 10^23 neutrons, which you multiply by the neutrons mass to get the total mass. Then it's a cake piece of.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2009
  4. Mar 9, 2009 #3

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Show us your work. What numbers did you multiply? What results? Units? You appear to be out by a few orders of magnitude.

A mole is just what is stated. It is Avogadro's number of particles. So a mole of neutrons is 6.02 x 10^23 neutrons.

AM

5. Mar 9, 2009 #4
    thanks for everyone's help

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook